Mint

There wasn't much out of Sirius after that, Rose started eating breakfast in the greenhouses with Professor Sprout who would occasionally be visited by Professor McGonagall(sometimes just as a cat who popped in and out quickly). Rose didn't interact with any of the Marauders for a while, save for James and the girls. She still saw their pranks and her heart still sank for Moony each time the glow of a full moon would shine through her windows at night, but she wasn't a part of it.

Lily came by to check on Rose in her dorm from time to time, often bringing some records and Dorcas along with her.

Dorcas was a lot like Odette, she exuded a sense of nature and wisdom while still knowing how to have fun. Rose often imagined Dorcas in Slytherin robes, her long dreads and self-assumed smile would fit so well within their house.

Rose also imagined Dorcas was the kind of girl you'd bump into in a record store and instantly fall in love with.

Rose wasn't lucky enough to fall for Dorcas Meadows though.

November 13th 1977

"What are you reading?" Regulus asked as they sat together in greenhouse three during free period, the sun beamed down on them from the glass ceiling. Regulus' cheeks were rosy, but he was at ease. Stephone's camera sat next to them, Rose had borrowed it for the first time in a long time that day.

"It's a comfort book of mine actually. A collection of Greek myths and how they connect to plants." Rose said, pointing at an illustration of a small sprig of mint growing near a steam, it looked dreadfully lonely.

"That's Minthe, she was a nymph, Hades' beloved, but either Persephone or Demeter had her turned into a plant, mint. It's sad really." Rose explained, running a thumb over the painting on the page before meeting his eyes again.

"I promise I won't let Sirius turn you into a plant." She joked, he didn't smile, but his eyes looked happier.

"You sure you wouldn't prefer me that way?" He asked wittily.

Rose couldn't help it, she met his lips with a smile still playing on her own, as they kissed he held a gentle grip on her hair.

When they broke apart she leaned her head against his, noses brushing as she peeked at his eyes. Like looking into smokey quartz.

"Stay right there." Rose whispered, pulling away from him to grab the camera, his cheeks were as red as two plump strawberries, but his eyes were still at peace.

Rose had to capture it.

"It's time I updated that old picture of you." She said, tongue sticking out of her mouth a tiny bit as she concentrated on getting the perfect shot.

He didn't move, and with one click the photo was taken. She placed the camera down and waited for it to develop.

"May I take a few?" Regulus asked, glancing over at the mint planted across the room.

"Sure." Rose agreed, already smiling as he picked up the camera and walked over to the plant.

"Do you have a quill? I want to add a note on it."

"A note?" She asked.

"Yes, I want to write something like "Ah I'm really a nymph! Help!"" He expressed, gesturing as he did so, the camera hanging around his neck on it's strap, a contented look on his face.

Rose would have done anything for him in that moment, but all she could manage was a couple words.

"You're wonderful." She said as a giddy smile rose to her face.

They made time to see one another, sneaking into his dorm in her snake form had become an almost daily ritual, they'd do homework together, perhaps kiss a time or two, but mostly just sit in one another's presence.

Despite that Rose still managed to sneak up on him from time to time, just as she use to.

November 25th 1977

Rose whispered an unlocking charm and silently opened the door to Regulus' dorm. His roommates were asleep, but he was still awake, sitting up on the edge of his bed. When he saw someone enter the room he gasped and fell backwards, off his bed and onto the floor below.

Rose made her way to him quickly, pulling him up into the bed and shutting the curtains.

"Are you okay?" She asked, failing to suppress laughter.

"I thought we locked the door." He said, neatening his pajamas.

"Yeah, I unlocked it." Rose said, raising her wand for emphasis, sitting it on the bedside table thereafter.

"Have you come here to abduct me?" He asked, already mentally prepared for wherever she might take him.

"No actually. I just wanted to come here." She said, pulling back the covers.

"May I stay?" She asked, sliding under them.

He nodded as a response prior to joining her under the covers.

She played with his hair, twirling the stands between her fingers and whispering incantations as she did so, smiling brightly when small sprigs of lily of the valley appeared in his hair, she braided the conjured flowers into it loosely.

"You're so pretty." She said, hands leaving his hair to sit delicately around his neck.

"As are you." He replied, peering into her eyes as he did so.

Roses eyes were green like Lily's, but they held the smallest hint of a gold around the edges.

"Rose, may I ask you something?" He said, albeit somewhat reluctantly.

"Of course." She answered, smiling up at him supportively.

"Could we..perhaps..do this without our clothes?" He asked as straightforwardly as he could manage in that moment.

"You mean you want to—"

"No. Just— this."

"You don't think you'll...you know.."

"I'll deal with it."

"Then, Okay." She agreed, beginning to remove some of the flowers from his hair, he held up a hand halting her.

"Leave them. I like them." He said, she nodded and moved her attention to his shirt, lifting it over his head and discarding it onto the floor before doing the same with her own, promptly hiding her face in the crook of his neck, missing his reaction in the process.

He held her there in his arms. Their chests pressed against one another warmly.

"This." Is all he could manage to say, closing his eyes and losing himself to the comfort of her.

Rose smiled against his skin, whispering to him sarcastically.

"You're so evil and scary, Black."