𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓. said too much, it overflowed.

SAID TOO MUCH, IT OVERFLOWED.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

STARCROSSED (book one)

°•        CHAPTER FIFTEEN        •°

"        GOD, I HOPE IT'S
A FUCKING LIZARD.       "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

ELIJAH WOLFHART ALWAYS STRUGGLED TO UNDERSTAND WHEN ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH. The same way that the dark could swallow the Earth whole when the sun went down. Or how pouring too much liquid into a cup would only cause a mess at the end to clean. He wasn't afraid to ever test the limits laid before him. It's one of the reasons why he let anger control his every move (like when he pounded in Lewis's face) or love with all of his shattered heart (what he did for Steve, Nevaeh, everyone). Elijah didn't grasp the understanding of how pouring so much love into everyone, into everything he did, would only leave him empty in the end until that emptiness filled with rage.

Then what the hell was he supposed to do when it spilled and drenched everyone in its path?

Elijah wondered how dangerous it was when fear was in the mix. He feared his nails would rip into his denim pants with how tightly he was squeezing his thigh, aching to feel the pinch so that he could feel fucking anything because he wasn't the only one who knew when enough was enough. The world did too. Hawkins, specifically. Elijah thought a single fully-grown Demogorgon kidnapping Will Byers, devouring Barbara Holland and others, tormenting his nightmares, would be enough.

It wasn't.

Dustin had been rambling about what happened for what felt like hours. Elijah was going to strangle the shithead eventually or kick the back of his seat. He doesn't know what was worse. The talking or the silence. It all was making his head throb and the adjustment to his new medicine didn't help. Elijah was sick and tired of hearing about monsters. One just had to come back, right? He couldn't move on. Running away wasn't an option.

And yet, all Elijah can think of to keep him calm was how he forgot to make supper at the Wolfhart household.

"Wait a sec," Steve spoke up after pondering his thoughts. He turned the knob of his radio and brought the tune of Hammer to Fall to a quieter level so they could talk. "How big?"

Dustin held his pointer finger and thumb apart a few inches. "First it was like that..." He lifted his other hand and brought his palms a foot or two apart. "... Now he's like this."