𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟕. weapons don't weep.

WEAPONS DON'T WEEP.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

STARCROSSED (book one)

°• CHAPTER SEVENTEEN •°

" I CAN DO IT. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

NEVAEH WOLFHART WAS NO STRANGER TO PAIN. She often lived in it so much that she discovered ways to survive even when it wraps around her throat and tries to choke the life out of her. There were still ways to breathe. She learned it from the best, after all. Elijah Wolfhart taught her to do so better than anyone. After tilting her head back to watch him, she wondered how he could do it. Nevaeh absorbed everything she could about him and hoped she could one day become half as strong as him. Nobody could endure great pain like her brother. If Nevaeh could find it in herself, maybe things would be different. Maybe it'd be much easier to gulp pain like Elijah did even when it shreds bloody everything in its wake instead of turning to something less painful - like pills. But those parts never seemed to be in her. Being a close friend of pain didn't mean it was easy to swallow.

Nevaeh Wolfhart also wasn't a stranger to the Upside Down. It soon became a second home, one that she certainly didn't want because it held terrifying nightmares and led her to an even worse addiction to escape. She remembered when her father would tell her and Elijah stories of their culture so they could always be attached to who they were. Bits of the words are foggy, but Nevaeh vaguely recalls people who could walk in any dreams they wanted or straight into different realities and things that could enhance it. Doctor Owens seems to dismiss it too much when Nevaeh worries it could all tie into each other.

Who knew all of this would come back to bite Nevaeh in the ass?

The second that Nevaeh realizes what Will Byers had done, her heart begins to sink into the deep pit settled in her stomach. She heard the alarms blare first, Mike's footsteps thundering ahead of Bob's before they burst into the room, and then Joyce demanding to know what's going on as she left her son's side. Mike's uneasy voice came last. "We're under attack."

Nevaeh blinks and tries to drag her foggy mind back to Hawkins's Lab. The noises seem to blend all together and her head was about to spin. "Under attack," she echoed it, but it isn't a question. She knows.

She knew the second Mike ran from the room, screaming his head off about a spy and a trap.

Mike nods and grabs a needle from the cabinet behind him. "We need to make Will sleep," he declared.