13. Raid

Licht's POV

We were all ready with our weapons and spells upon hearing the faint sound of wheels rolling down the pathway. Applying mana in her right eye while closing off the left one, Helen tried to scout out their numbers from the distance. With her eye infused with mana she was able to see through long distances.

"There are two carriages with the slaves inside and 20 men in total guarding the carriages. They are walking along with the carriages." She reported reading an arrow in her bow and augmenting it with mana. "Out of the 20 there are 6 mages while the others carry heavy and sharp weapons."

For a group of goons and thugs they were organized enough to keep mages with them. Mages are powerful and more dangerous than average humans, having the potential to gravely injure or straightaway kill people. Having mages would guarantee their safety against other mages or adventurers who would try to become a hindrance in their business. 

"They are closing in.." Adam informed before looking down and making signals with his hands.

"Durden you are up.." Reynolds spoke, equipping his gauntlets. 

The burly Conjurer nodded before starting to chant a spell. He remained hidden in the bushes waiting for the carriage and the traders to appear at the needed location for his spell to be fully effective on disbalancing them. Having completed his chanting, Durden slammed his palm on the ground, channeling Earth mana through the ground. 

Slight tremors were felt by the traders, nearly throwing them off balance. Some of them grabbed the carriages so as to not loose their footing and also ensure that no damage was done to the 'goods' inside. 

Then in the darkness of the night, one of them noticed two shadows leaping down from above and the next moment the sound of something sharp tearing through flesh was audible. 

The one on his right, a spear emerging from his torso while the one on his left had his head flying off. They were both non-mages so they couldn't set up defenses nor augment their bodies with mana to avoid getting killed.

Before he could alert, a mana infused arrow struck him in the head instantly killing him on the spot. 

Now the others were fully aware that they had been ambushed. With three people already dead, panic arose among them.

"We have been attacked! Prioritize the safety of the goods!" Their group leader, a man with shaggy hairstyle, with his hair reaching his brown eyes and a X-scar on his chin. He wore a leather armor and held a magic staff with a light blue gem in the top end. From the looks of it, it seemed he is a Conjurer and a high-leveled one at that. 

"Charge in maintaining the formation!" Rey's voice was heard loud and clear when he and Jasmine sprang out from the bushes. Augmenting his gauntlets with pure mana he charged in to deal with the fighters who were using heavy weapons like axes and polearms.

The non-mages who attempted to take down Durden despite being a little intimidated by his size met their unfortunate ends by having spikes of earth stabbing through them. A few of them were fortunately alive, not having any spike stabbing through their vitals but still they would need a high-leveled Healer to treat their wounds or they are going to die from blood loss.

Seems like Twin Horns was showing no mercy to these people and are going straight for the kill. Then again they had it coming for them. 

Angela had a concerned look on her face not for the ones dying but for us and mostly Jasmine. Me having already sent a head flying had proven that I am no ordinary eight year old and is someone who can kill without hesitation. But that wasn't the case for Jasmine. Even though she wasn't bothered at the sight of people being killed, for her or anyone ending someone's life with their own hands is a different matter.