three

The door slams shut behind Adrian, making me flinch and look at Levi, who gives me an almost apologetic look, then turns around and runs after his mate, shouting his name.

I can't help but think- what about me? Am I not his mate as well?

And like... that's all they have to say? They know we're mates and they leave without addressing it or anything? That kinda hurts.

Yeah, well, what did I expect, really?

A small, defeated chuckle leaves my mouth and Tristan's gaze meets mine, even tho he's usually hard to read, right now I can see the compassion clear as a day.

"Don't say it," I shake my head at him.

"I'm sorry."

"Fuck you," I groan, but squeeze my eyes shut a second after because me eyes start to sting.

Oh no, no, no, no. I don't cry. I never cry.

My wolf howls in my head and I shake my head. Shut up.

"I'm sorry," he says again, sitting down on the stool beside the bed and he squeezes my shoulders.

I just nod, still not really processing everything that happened in the last 24 hours.

"I'm sorry too," I whisper after some time, "for dragging you into this... if they wouldn't have shot me-"

"I don't think I have to explain to you that it wasn't your fault and this would've happened one way or another if the attacks wouldn't have stopped."

His tone leaves no place for arguments and I glance at him, giving him a weak smile.

"I can still thank you tho."

He rolls his eyes at that but but they soften a little nevertheless.

A knock on the door makes me turn my head in its direction and Mrs. Walsh walks in with some papers in her hand, sighing and looking at me and Tristan for a little before speaking up.

"All the toxins are out of your body and you should be healed by tomorrow. You already know that there's gonna-"

"Remain a scar, I know," I finish off for her and she gives me an apologetic look, one I've seen on her face times plenty of before, "it's fine. Not your fault, anyway."

"You can leave tomorrow morning... get some rest, alright? You too, Tristan," she points to the bed next to mine and he looks at her for a second, then nods his head.

Mrs. Walsh closes the door behind her and I give Tristan a look before rolling to the side, not without some difficulties because of my wound, and close my eyes, "sweet dreams."

"Fuck off."

A small smile makes its way onto my face, despite the whole depressing situation we're in.

*

"Wake up shithead."

A smack on my head makes me groan and give Tristan a glare once my eyes adjust to the light in the room.

"Adrian and Levi knocked, they're finished with the sleeping arrangements. Come on."

I nod and sit up, noticing that my side doesn't hurt anymore. Merely a small sting. Pulling my shirt up I'm met with a red and ugly scar and even tho by now I should be used to those, I'll never get used to the memories that come with them.