Death at your doorstep- XXVI

You swallow down the fear and terror that attempt to squeeze past your throat. It didn't feel fair. To die so early on in life. Mirabel's eyes were wide as she turned to you, her expression a mixture of pity and sorrow. The swirl of sand had dissipated, and everyone gaped at the cracked Prophecy.

Bruno couldn't look you in the eyes. The utter guilt on his face was tremendous. His fingers shook as he apologized.

"I, I'm sorry- I didn't- I don't- Im sorry- I thought it would be- Maybe- I- I- I-" His voice broke. It made your eyes soften. Situations like this sucked. No one to blame. Everyone is just a bystander to your misfortune. You take the mans hand in your as he flinched.

"Its, its okay..." You muster up the wobbliest, least convincing smile you can. "Fair, fair warning, warning right?"

Perhaps it was worse to Bruno how easily you had not blamed him. He wished you had instead gotten mad, yelled maybe. But there you stood, attempting to calm down the very person who brought forward news of your demise. Your eyes were somber, but they held no remorse. It made his heart ache.

"Oh y/n..." Mirabel had hugged you tightly, softly crying into your shirt. Her shoulders shook violently as she struggled to keep in her sobs. Antonio peeked from under his blindfold, watching as Bruno patted your back awkwardly.

You were tempted to cry. But at the same time you couldn't process just what was happening. It felt unreal, like a dream. The boy had run over to embrace you as well, innocently asking-

"Whats happening? Why is Mirabel crying?" He quietly spoke. You only pat his head, steadying your voice.

"Its nothing..?" It sounded more like a statement than a question. You didn't know what to say. Antonio heaved a sigh, putting his hands on his hips.

"Im a big boy now! you can tell me!" Bruno collects the green shards so that he doesn't catch a glimpse of it at all. Mirabel sniffles, wiping her messy tears and turning to Antonio.

"H- hey, Tonito, not, not a word about this to anyone okay?" She managed to let out a chocked laugh. The boy seemed to understand, nodding. He didn't press any further as Bruno got ready to leave. By the door frame he frowned.

"Im, Im sorry- I was supposed to help- and- and i just- I-"

"You should, you should listen, listen to your own, own warnings." You tried to joke while he grimaced lightly. "Anyway, whats done is, is done. So maybe, maybe we can, we can try to avoid, avoid it?"

The man nods halfheartedly. He waved before completely disappearing behind the painting. Mirabel ushers Antonio back into his room, and she turned to you with bloodshot eyes.

"We should, we should tell-"

"No." You sternly shake your head. The girl sighs.

"He needs to know-"

"Mirabel please.." The thought of Camilo's reaction scared you. You knew you wouldn't take it well if it was you who had been told. Death is not at all a pretty subject.

Her resolve wavers at your pleading tone. Before you or Mirabel can speak, however, there's a loud scream that you make out to be Luisa. The girl next to you flinches, calling down and dragging you with her.

"Luisa?! What's wro...." The air seems to be forcefully pulled from your lungs. Mirabel lets go of your hand to run over to her sister, who cradled Juliet's lifeless body. She was pale, blood seeping from her chest, where a knife was burrowed. The scene made you want to vomit. Isn't this what was to happen to you in the near future?

Their heart wrenching cries chilled you to your very bone. Who would have done this? And why? The surroundings seem to blur together, and you can very faintly hear Abuela call out.

"Mirabel? Luisa?" The woman too stops dead at seeing her eldest covered in the sickening red liquid. Shes bled out so much that even a distinct metallic scent emitted from her. "No... No no no no no Luisa, who did it?!"

The most emotion you have probably heard from Abuela was the agonizing pain in her voice. In her desperation she scurried to a cabinet, pulling out a thread and needle. The elders fingers shook violently as she frantically pushed the two girls aside, trying in vain to sew the big gap in Julieta's chest. Silent tears left her eyes, her lips pressed in a thin line.

"Ma, did anything-" Pepa is the third to arrive, Felix and Agustin trailing behind. You cant handle anymore of their heartbreak. It made your chest constrict. You decide to stare at the wall, despite you covering your ears you still hear the ghost of their wails.

More footsteps drew closer and the heavy feeling on your shoulders grew. Your head was pounding, hands quivering. The loudest so far shriek of pure sorrow made you turn your head in surprise. Agustin held his daughters, rubbing their backs for comfort. His eyes squeezed shut as he rocked them back and forth.

A hand covers your line of vision. It turns you around, your cheek resting on a heavily breathing person. His scent comforted you, arms wrapping around you tightly. There's fear in his voice but he masks it.

"Dont, dont look y/n." Camilo is shaking. You cant tell whether hes comforting you or if you are comforting him.

Your body refuses to move, and the male doesn't as well. The two of you are frozen, the events plastering itself in your mind. The angry red, the tears, the cries. You remember it so well. Even now as Camilo sang in a broken tone to try and mask the sobs, and as he held onto you as if he was desperately trying to keep you from disintegrating, you couldn't shake the terrible, terrible future that haunted you.

Was this somehow related to the prophecy? was that tall man somehow threatening you? You shake the thoughts away. Thinking like that will only drive you crazy. For now you only nestle and grab on tighter to Camilo.

As long... As long as he's there, it'll be okay.