Chapter 49 - canyon

- Third POV -

"Okay, listen guys, harsh words won't solve problems, action will. Why don't you just switch jobs?" Suggests Aang.

"Sounds good" Replies Katara.

"Whatever" Sighs Sokka.

"You see that Mizuki? Settling feuds and making peace, all in a day's work for the Avatar" Jokes Aang. Suddenly, he notices Momo and Appa fighting over a watermelon. Momo continuously tries to fly away with it, while Appa pins it down with his paw. Aang takes the water melon and uses airbending to slice it. Momo seems to be complaining about how he got the much smaller half while Appa starts eating the bigger half.

"Come on Momo, that's fair. Appa's got five stomachs" Answers Aang while Mizuki starts grinning.

"Aww, look at you being all grown up and solving conflicts between others" Cooes Mizuki while patting Aang's head. Aang blushes furiously as he pushes her hand away.

<time skip>

The teenagers are standing on the edge of a huge canyon.

"There it is guys, the great divine" States Aang.

"Wow, I could just stare at it forever" Beams Katara. Mizuki stares the canyon in awe.

"Okay, I've seen enough" Mumbles Sokka after a few seconds.

"How can you not be fascinated Sokka? This is the largest canyon in the entire world!" Exclaims Katara.

"Then I'm sure we'll be able to see it very clearly from the air while we fly away" Replies Sokka dryly. Suddenly, he gets pushed aside by a stranger.

"If you're looking for the canyon guide, I was here first!" Exlcaims the man who just shoved Sokka aside.

"Ooh, canyon guide? Sounds informative" Says Katara curiously.

"Believe me, he's more than a tour guide. He's an earthbender" Explains the man who's oblivious to the fact that Sokka is behind him and mocking him. Mizuki notices this and chuckles, trying to hide her laughter.

"And the only way in and out of the canyon is with help, and he's taking my tribe across next" States the man.

"Calm down, we know you're next" Reassures Sokka.

"You wouldn't be so calm if the Fire Nation destroyed your home and forced you to flee! My whole tribe has to walk thousands of miles to the capital city of Ba Sing Se" Replies the man in an annoyed tone.

"I'm sorry to hear that" Says Mizuki, who slightly relates to the man.

"You're a refugee!" Exclaims Katara.

"Tell me something I don't know" Sighs the man. Suddenly, a large group of poorly dressed people is shown walking towards them.

"Is that your tribe?" Asks Katara.

"It most certainly is not! That's the Zhang tribe, a bunch of low-life thieves. They've been the enemies of my tribe for a hundred years!" Explains the man.

"Hey, Zhangs! I'm saving a spot for my tribe so don't even think about stealing it!" Shouts the man as he whistles to the Zhangs.

"Where are the rest of the Gan Jins? Still tidying up their camp site?" Mocks the Zhang's leader.

"Yes, but they sent me ahead of them to hold a spot" Answers Gan Jin's leader confidently.

"I didn't know the canyon guide took reservations" Replies the Zhang's leader sarcastically.

"Ha, of course you didn't! That's the ignorance I'd expect from a messy Zhang. So unorganized and ill-prepared for a journey" Scoffs Gan Jin's leader. The Zhang tribe members yell out in protest behind their leader. Katara, Mizuki and Aang share a worried look. Suddenly, a large pile of rocks is being levitated up and thrown away. The canyon guide stands behind where the rocks used to be.

"Sorry about the wait youngsters. Who's ready to cross this canyon?" Beams the guide.

"Uh, one of them. I think" Replies Katara unsure.

"I was here first, my party's on their way" Exlcaims Gan Jin's leader as he rushes towards the guide.

"I can't guide people who aren't here" States the guide.

"Guess you guys will have to make the trip tomorrow" Mocks the Zhang's leader. Suddenly, another tribe enters the canyon entrance area.

"Wait! Here they come!" Shouts Gan Jin's leader as a group of clean, finely dressed people approach them.

"You're not seriously gonna cave into these spoiled Gan Jin's? I mean we're refugees too! And we've got sick people that need shelter" Complains the Zhang's leader.

"Uh, well..." Mumbles the guide.

"We've got old people who are weary from traveling!" Shouts Gan Jin's leader.

"Sick people get priority over old people!" Shouts the Zhang's leader back.

"Maybe you Zhangs wouldn't have so many sick people if you weren't such slobs" Scoffs Gan Jin's leader.

"If you Gan Jins weren't so clean, you wouldn't live to be so old!" Argues the Zhang's leader.

"Well, Aang. Ready to put your peace-making skills to the test?" Asks Katara.

"I don't know, a fight over chores is one thing, but these people have been feuding for a hundred years" Replies Aang unsure.

"I'm sure you'll find a solution, and if you don't, I'll be here to help you" Comforts Mizuki.

"Everybody listen up! This is the Avatar, and if you give him a chance, I'm sure he can come up with a compromise that will make everyone happy!" States Katara as she takes a step forward.

"Uh, you could share the earthbender and travel together?" Suggests Aang.

"Absolutely not! We'd rather be taken by the Fire Nation than travel with those stinking thieves!" Exclaims Gan Jin's leader while Mizuki facepalms.

"We wouldn't travel with those pompous fools anyway!" Shouts the Zhang's leader. The two tribes begin to shout at each other, again.

"All right here's the deal, you're all going down together and Appa here will fly your sick and eldery across! Does that seem fair?" Shouts Aang. Both leaders nod in agreement.

"You did it!" Whispers Mizuki happily while Aang smiles broadly.

"Aang, this feuding tribe stuff is serious business. Are you sure it's a good idea getting involved in this?" Asks Sokka in a concerned tone.

"To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. But when have I ever been?" Beams Aang.

"He's the Avatar, Sokka. Making peace between people is his job" Points Katara out.

"His job's gonna make us cross this whole canyon on foot, isn't it?" Sighs Sokka.

"Oh come on Sokka, what's the worst thing that can happen?" Replies Mizuki.

To be continued

Word count: 1012