Hallway Chats-Steve Harrington

I walked out of history and went to my locker. I got my textbook and was about to head back to class when I noticed Steve sitting on the floor, against some lockers. I hesitated before walking over to him.

"You okay?"

I smiled when his head snapped up. "Hey, Y/N. Shouldn't you be in class?"

"Shouldn't you?" I chuckled as I leaned against the lockers, standing next to him.

"I needed to get my notebook out of my locker," I said. When he didn't say anything, I added, "Now that we've solved the mystery of Why Was Y/N In The Hallway, how about we solve the next mystery?"

"Which is what?" He laughed as he played along.

"Why are you sitting in the hallway instead of in class?"

My smile dropped when Steve leaned his head against the lockers, looking away from me.

"Steve?" I asked tentatively. "Everything okay?"

"It's fine," he said, clearing his throat.

"No," I sighed, "it's not."

He looked at me when I sat next to him. "Alright," I said simply, "spill."

"There's nothing to spill," he fake-laughed.

"Steve," I said sternly. "It can be only one of two things; something with your team or something with Nancy. By the look of frustration and defeat on your face, I'm going to guess Nancy. So, tell me. What happened?"

He looked over at me and sent me a soft smile. "How'd you know?"

"Call it women's intuition," I shrugged. I waited for him to explain, but he hesitated a little and ran his fingers through his hair.

If he knew how much that drove me crazy, would he keep doing it?

"You're right," he finally confessed. "I'm not entirely sure what's going on with Nancy, but it seems like everything I do is wrong. I say the simplest things and she just snaps. She's been acting kinda weird. I know Barb's disappearance bothered her but still. . . Why would she be snapping at me? It's not like I'm the one who did anything to Barb."

"Well," I said, slightly clearing my throat, "to briefly side with Nancy, Barb is her best friend. If your best friend went missing, you'd be acting weird, too."

"I know," he stuttered. "It's just. . . She won't let me help her. I try to get her to talk to me or open up, but she just tells me she's fine. I've literally tried everything, but she shuts me down. I'm trying to help her. Really, Y/N, I'm trying. She won't let me."

"Steve," I started, but he cut me off.

"Hypothetically," he continued, "if you were struggling with something and your boyfriend was trying to help, wouldn't you talk to him? I mean, if you were struggling with something, you'd tell me. Right?"

Steve looked over at me, nothing but seriousness in his eyes. He patiently waited for me to answer.

"Y/N, if you were going through something and needed help, would you let me in?"

"I think so," I mumbled. I cleared my throat before adding, "As long as you'd listen."

"Of course, I'd listen to you, Y/N," he said instantly. 

I smiled as I looked away. I pulled my legs into my chest and wrapped my arms tightly around my knees. Steve sighed as he brought one of his knees up and rested his arm on it.

"What do you think of her?"

"What?" I stuttered.

"What do you really think of Nancy?" He asked again.

"Steve," I sighed.

"I mean it," he cut me off. "Tell me. I know you're not in my and Nancy's group, but you're in mine. I want to know what you think."

"Honestly?"

"Honestly."

"Well," I hesitated, "I've never understood why you started dating her. I've known you our entire life and I've known Nancy since middle school. You two. . . You don't connect, Steve. You never have."

I held my breath, waiting for him to angrily storm off. When he didn't, I slowly looked over at him.

"I'm sorry," I said, my voice soft. "I didn't mean to overstep my bounds or anything but I've been feeling this for a while."

"It's okay," he said, glancing at me. "You're kind of right. I don't know why I didn't see it before."

"Probably because you were blinded," I mumbled.

"Blinded by what?" He asked. I looked over at him, making him laugh. "Never mind."

I sighed as I tightened my arms around myself. I could feel Steve staring at me, but I resisted the urge to look back at him.

"Is it just me or do Nancy and I fight a lot?" Steve sighed.

I hesitated before whispering, "Yes." I cleared my throat and quickly added, "I'm sorry, Steve. But it's true."

"No," he said, clearing his throat. "It's okay. You're right. Sometimes I wonder. . ."

"What?" I asked when he didn't continue.

"I wonder if Nancy and I have drifted apart," he confessed. "We used to be so in sync, but now?"

My heart sank when Steve sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "What do I do?" He asked under his breath.

"Steve," I hesitated. "Are you happy?"

I held my breath as I waited for his answer. The longer it took for him to answer, the more I knew the truth.

"You aren't," I said for him. "Steve, if you aren't happy maybe you should. . . Maybe you should walk away."

"Y/N," he sighed, a little anger coming through in his voice. "Nancy and I are. . . We're. . . I think you're right."

I looked over at him when he started to agree with me. I gathered my courage as he sighed.

"You deserve to be happy," I said sternly. "And if she doesn't make you happy. . . It's obvious, Steve. There's no if. Nancy doesn't make you happy. You deserve to be happy. You deserve someone who makes you smile and laugh and just seeing her improves your day. You deserve someone who would put you first. You deserve someone who would work as hard at making you happy as you work to make her happy. You deserve a girl who. . . You deserve a girl who loves you."

"Like who?" Steve sighed as he leaned his head against the lockers behind us.

I opened and closed my mouth, stuttering to say who. When I didn't respond, Steve looked at me. The longer we stared at each other, the more Steve caught on. I sighed, finally looking away. I stood up and wrapped my arms around myself.

"Like me, you idiot."