23: The Return

Dedicated to @-im_your_local_simp- who made me so glad today.

You asked for an update, I'm giving you 2 :)

I hope you like them as much as I do ;)

Bolin and Kitiara entered the room in which Varrick and Zhu-Li were trapped in from the hatch.

" Kitiara ! You're in !!!! Oh, Yesssss. I think that we can indeed leave this madness, now ! " Varrick celebrated.

The woman smiled. " Yes, indeed. Now, let's go. "

The team nodded. Zhu-Li helped Varrick to the hatch followed shortly by Bolin and the former commander.

***

Korra and Baatar walked to Kuvira.

" We have an unexpected guest. The Avatar is here to see you. " The man announced.

Kuvira turned to glance in his direction. She waved dismissing her two soldiers and approached her fiance.

" Korra, it's such an honor to see you again. The last I heard, you were still healing in the South Pole. " The metal bender stated.

" Well, I'm feeling much better now. " The avatar declared.

" That's wonderful news ! " The Great Uniter grinned at her old friend.

Korra smiled back at her and her eyes scanned the place. " Where's Kit ? "

" Kitiara Beifong is my commander. Her duty is to prepare the army for the upcoming battle. I'm afraid that you can't see her at the moment. " Kuvira replied with unnecessary formality.

Korra sighed remembering why she came in the first place. " Listen, I'm here to ask you to back down. Please. Take your army and leave. "

Kuvira's grin vanished. " I think we both know that's not going to happen. "

" I can't let you take Zaofu. " Korra insisted.

" Look, I was tasked with bringing stability to the Earth Kingdom. Zaofu is the last holdout. Why should I treat it differently than any other state ? " The older woman asked.

Korra bit the inside of her cheek. What could she say against this ? " What you're doing isn't right ! "

" I understand you're just trying to do Su a favor, but you can't come to me as I am on the verge of reuniting my nation and tell me to stop. The world was descending into chaos while you were gone. In order to fix it, I had to make some tough decisions. "

Korra crossed her hands in front of her chest. She understood really well the last part of Kuvira's words. " I know what that's like. I've had plenty of people mad at me about decisions I've made. "

" Exactly. Korra, if you really want to help, go back to Su and try to talk some sense into her. Let's call a temporary truce. I won't make any moves until you talk to her and get back to me. " The earth bender placed her hand on the avatar's shoulder and the grin came back on her face.

Korra sighed in defeat. " Maybe that will be for the best. "

***

Baatar entered Kitiara's tent. He raised an eyebrow noticing his cousin's absence.

The man was ready to leave in order to search for the air bender when it hit him.

He walked to her desk and looked around for the plan for the upcoming attack.

There was nothing but a small note.

To Baatar and Kuvira,

Listen, it's exactly what it seems.