Chapter 40. The Aftermath.

Sorry, I scared y'all with the last chapter! - No, the story is not done yet.

~No one's P.O.V~

Meliodas halted in his steps when he reached the door opening, "You know, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, I didn't expect that making you my best friend would turn out to be one of them." And with that, he walked out of the room, leaving the others in uncomfortable silence.

"You know it..." Y/n turned her head to Meliodas, who had been standing silently behind her the entire time, escaping his own fight, "You know I'd never hurt you."

"You already did, Y/n. You already did." Meliodas patted her shoulder, showing no remorse nor sympathy for the girl as he walked right by her and out towards the exit.

"But..." Y/n was left alone inside the cave, her hand still held out towards where Meliodas and King had left. She dropped the two sticks to the ground, looking at her hands, "Am I... Really that bad?" She asked herself furrowing her eyebrows.

"Are you going to look for Diane?" Elizabeth asked, taking a step forward.

Y/n shook her head, patting the brace on her arm to make it sit just right, "No. she's safe where she is right now. I'd like to keep it that way."

Meliodas glared at her, stepping forward, "Then what do you suppose we do in the meantime?"

"You're the Captain of the Seven Deadly Sins, Meliodas. You don't need to ask me about that." She replied, frowning at the hostility.

"I'm sorry..." His grip tightened slowly. Green eyes filled with tears yet none of them were spilling, "I'm so sorry about everything." He choked, his hand tightening its grip on Y/n's cold hand even further.

Once the Ten Commandments had left the battlefield, Hawk's Mama had arrived with the team and Y/n was hurried into the tavern.

She had wiped off any visible blood and Elizabeth had offered to take care of her.

Once the others had access to the bedroom she was in again, Y/n had been placed on the large bed with the cover pulled over her body with her head and arms remaining out.

Meliodas hadn't left since. He had even refused to leave to go help at the battlefield in Liones.

"You needed me. You needed me and I wasn't there. I didn't even know what you were going through..." He took a deep breath, closing his eyes to make some of the tears withdraw, "Please don't tell me this is it." He opened his eyes once again, looking down at the girl's face, "This ca-n't be it. Yo-you're you!" His voice broke, "You always come back!"

His tears fell. Wetting the bed once again.

It was new for him. He wasn't used to this amount of sadness and frustration. It had always been wrath and hatred, "I-I never got to say sorry, so you have to get back. Someone's got to beat my ass."

So why had that changed now?
Why did he have to be so weak?
Why couldn't he just go out there'd and kill them?
Put a well-deserved ending to the Ten Commandments?

He hated it. The way his body reacted. The way he couldn't force himself to get up from the chair by her bed the last several days, the fact that he couldn't do anything but to watch all color drain from her skin every single second.

The fact that he isn't able to bring her back.

"Y'know, the others are out there fighting." A small smile formed on his lips as he wiped his eyes aggressively with his sleeve, "Meanwhile I'm in here crying my eyes out. You have turned me into such a crybaby." He forced a bigger smile, biting his cheek hard, "I'll wait for you. Even if it takes all the time in the world, I've got to get you back. You got that?" He gulped.