Chapter 39: Carlos's family

Y/N'S PERSPECTIVE

We were standing outside my house. Camilo was holding my hand and waiting for me.

"Can we go back," I tried asking him for the thousandth time.

"Nope," I sighed, letting go of him and slowly approaching the door. I didn't want to talk to my ma but Camilo was right, to think about it, he was right a lot lately. I hesitantly knocked. After a minute of no one answering, I knocked again... And again. No answer. I tried the door. It opened. What, was my mom leaving the door unlocked now? I walked into my home, confused. Everything was different. The furniture, the decorations, almost like my old life here never existed. I went up to my room... It didn't look like my room, all of my belongings were gone, the room was completely refurnished.

"What are you doing in my house?" An old man asked from behind me. I jumped.

"This is my house...? Or, used to be?" I looked around, my heart sinking further and further. Where was my ma?"

"Oh, the lady mentioned a girl might come here thinking it was her house, she wanted me to tell you she moved in with her boyfriend's family," I frowned.

"I see, thank you... And sorry for barging in," I apologized, leaving as fast as I could.

"She's already moved in with his family," I said, outraged. Camilo put his hands on my shoulders, holding me in place.

"Calm down, it's ok, that's what married people do,"

"But they're not even married yet!"

"Hey, Princesa, listen, your mom's a grown woman, she makes her own decisions now, we can still find her if that's what you're worried about," I took some calming breaths.

"You need to stop being right, it's starting to get annoying," He smirked, taking my hand again.

"Let's go to Carlos's candy shop, he'll help you find your mom," He said. I followed him, getting more nervous.

"I don't want to talk to Carlos," I said.

"Now's a better time than later," I groaned at Camilo.

"I thought I told you to stop being right,"

"Right, you should start calling me 'Mr. Rightness'" I appreciated him trying to make me feel better, it was working a little.

"Here, now you can do this for real this time," He said, leaving me at the candy shop door. I looked back at him pleadingly. He shooed me with his hands. I took small steps and then pushed open the door. A little bell rang as I opened it and Carlos looked at me from the counter.

"Y/n, we've been waiting for you, how have you been?" He asked kindly, smiling softly.

"Fine," I said, hearing my own bitter voice. Come on Y/n, be nice to him, you may not like him, but he did nothing wrong, your ma did.

"I came to talk to my ma," I said. He nodded.

"She's in the house part of my shop with my family, here, I'll show you," He opened a door behind his counter and he motioned for me to follow him. I followed, my jaw-dropping, when I saw how big this shop actually was, behind, was a whole home, a nice kitchen, a sitting area, a big table, many bedroom doors and there were smiling faces were chatting and laughing. I spotted my ma talking with some women at the table.

"M/n! Y/n's here!" Carlos announced, causing many heads to turn.

"She's like, the daughter,"

"Like, who's her father?"

"She's got like, a pretty face, too bad she's stuck with that Camilo,"

"I heard she like, broke down after hearing M/n was getting married to Carlos,"

"I heard that too, except like, I heard she broke down when she heard her mom was pregnant,"

"A little like, dramatic, no?"

"Guess like, she's here to apologize,"

"She's really going to be a part of like, the family?" Whispers filled my ears and my legs started to shake. I didn't like Carlos's family already. I went up to my ma, she looked at me with a blank stare.

"Y/n?" She asked, tears slipping out of the corner of her eyes as she hugged me. Tears started in my eyes too from her hug, it made me realize how much I had actually missed her if only I hadn't been so focused on being mad.

"I should have respected your decision, I'm sorry for staying away for so long," I whispered.

"Thank you, thank you for coming back to me," She said. Once again I heard the family's whispering.

"Are they like, good now?"

"Was that like, all?"

"I was expecting like, another fight,"

"If I left the family for a week in protest like, I wouldn't be welcome back like this, there would definitely be like, some resentment left,"

"Look at how she's just like, forgiven, must be nice to be a family of two,"

"She's only forgiving her because like, she's her mother,"

"I wonder how she'll react when the baby's like, born," I wanted to snap at them but I held it back. My ma didn't look to have heard anything.

"Can we start over?" My ma asked.

"I'd love that," I said, pulling away from the hug.

"Hi, I'm your daughter, Y/n L/n," I joked. My ma laughed, wiping tears from her face and then wiping mine.

"Hello my child, I'm your ma," She kissed my eyelids and admired my face.

"I missed you, ah, sorry for being so emotional, it's part of being pregnant," She said, smiling gleefully. I put on a smile, pretending to be happy.

"Um, so, like, hi," A girl with hair covering half her face said, swinging her head and making the hair swing away before falling right down in place.

"Yeah, like, hi," A girl who looked identical to the one I was looking at before said. They must be twins, the only difference being the way they parted their hair.

"Hi," I recognized their voices instantly, it wasn't the whole family talking about me, it was just them. I could tell because they used the word 'like' in every sentence.

"Like, we're Tae and Tray,"

"Like, yeah,"

"I'm Y/n,"

"Are you going to stay for dinner?" A frail old lady with fluffy white hair pulled into a loose bun asked.

"Camilo's actually waiting for me outside-"

"You're waiting to bring him in? Invite him in! The more the merrier!" She said, wobbling on her cane to talk to an equally old-looking man. She started to talk to him.

"WHAT DEAR I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" He suddenly yelled, she laughed.

"Glad you can hear me," The hard-of-hearing couple started to talk to each other but not really hearing the other.

"Ok... I'll go get him then," I said, leaving my ma's arms and going out through the candy shop.

"Camilo, don't listen to whatever the twins say and the old couple can't hear you so don't try to start a conversation with them, that's all I know about the family, we're both invited to eat dinner with them, come on!" I said. Camilo looked surprised and confused as I pulled him up from where he was sitting and reading a book. He tucked the book in the back of his pants and he followed me in.

"Breath Y/n, I'm here for you," He said, taking my hand and smiling at me assuringly before we went in.

(I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Have a great rest of your night/day! I love you all! I hope reading this gives you as much happiness as it gives me to write it! Thank you for all the kind words, all of them mean so much to me! Mwah! <3)

- Author Out! <3

Word count: 1273