Part 5.19

"I'm going to use the dark power, Onyx."

Onyx regards me from his spot on the cushion. He's facing the window, and the full moon is reflected in his black eyes.

Why?

"It'll get rid of Amitabh for good."

Do you really think that is a good idea? You are missing a piece of your heart. You are in no position to attempt such dark magic.

I cross my arms, annoyed. "You were the one who wanted me to use it. If I remember correctly, you threw a tantrum like a newborn kitten when I didn't."

That was different. You had your whole heart then.

"I still have all the important bits," I argue.

The dark power we're debating is an ancient technique known to the Phaedreans, the people to whom the First Witch belonged. It's the power to destroy energy. Its use was forbidden, but a boy from the enemy planet of Ariadne discovered it and used it on the First Witch's mentor. Onyx wanted me to use it myself to destroy the orb of Ariadne, inside of which was a fire demon with great destructive powers. I refused to use it. It required me to harness all the evil inside me, and I was afraid of being overpowered.

I'm not afraid now. It wasn't necessary to use the dark power on the orb, because only a Phaedrean could unseal the orb, and I'm the only Phaedrean left. Amitabh, on the other hand, can't be safely sealed away.

Addy's troubled gaze hovers over me. "I'm not saying you shouldn't use the dark power, Lily," she says. "Amitabh killed my sister. I never want anyone else to go through the pain my family did. It's just that...you were so afraid to use it with the orb of Ariadne. You were one hundred percent against it. Now you don't seem afraid at all."

I shrug. What can I say? I was scared then. I'm not scared now.

You do know that you carry a higher risk of turning to darkness now than you did then.

"I don't think so. I'm only missing guilt. I don't see how that's going to affect anything."

Onyx's eyes are suddenly very, very large. Are you sure that's the only piece of your heart you gave away?

His question jolts me. I used a piece of my heart to counteract a curse the Dark Witch placed on a family centuries ago. It's not something I had any practise with, but I'd definitely only meant to use the part of me that felt guilt.

"Lily..." Addy grabs my hand. She looks very worried now. "You weren't sure how to do the whole thing, remember? What if you gave more of your heart away by accident?"

I wrestle my hand free. "I didn't."

At least...I don't think I did.

Really, Lily? I would say you seem to be missing a healthy chunk of fear.

"I have plenty of fear. Those flying carts nearly did my head in."

The heart is a complex thing, Lily. All the different pieces are connected. You may have given away a piece of your heart usually interacts with fear. Or you may have given part of your fear away, but not all.

Addy grabs my hand again. "Lily, please." Dread brews in her amber eyes. "I have a really bad feeling about this. Please just...think about this first?"

Onyx watches for my answer.

Addy squeezes my hand again.

"Sure," I say.

But I'm lying.