Chapter 23

Madelaina :

When class in over, Althea turns to me.

"What are you doing for break?"

"Oh. I'm not sure. Probably stay with the boys. Do you want to come too?"

It feels so strange to say those words. Both the parts about the boys and the invitation.

Less than a week ago, they would have never left my mouth yet they roll so easily out of it now.

Her brows lift when she replies.

"You're inviting me to hang out with Satan's version of the holy trinity?"

"They're not that bad. I'm serious."

She bites her lip and looks off to the side.

"Or...maybe this is about one vertex in particular?"

Head whipping this way, she glares for a moment before rolling her eyes.

"No. Of course not. Why would it be? Fine. If you insist they're not the Devil's direct spawns then I guess I could join you."

My smile is instant.

I really like the sound of having a girl friend. Not that I don't like the boys...most of them anyway.

But it'd be nice to have Althea as a friend. And I really hope that she feels the same.

No ulterior motives.

We stand when everyone has left and gather our belongings.

"Wait. Won't Celina and her friend be angry that you're with me and not them?"

"Who cares? I'm getting really sick and tired of their stupid faces. Besides, they don't like you. And I very much do. Plus we have more in common than I do them combined."

"Aren't they your friends though?"

"Not really. Well, at least, it doesn't feel like it. It's always a competition with them. Especially Celina. Who's more popular. Who has more followers. Who has the newest designer bag."

"That doesn't seem very nice at all." I frown.

I know I haven't really had friends before but I'm pretty sure that's not what friendship is.

"It's not. And I'm always the target when it comes to her lashing out at us. She hates that my family is richer. That apparently everything I do is just to embarrass her. I denied it at first. Told her that that's not what I'm intending to do. That she should just calm down and try and see that I wouldn't do that. But she never listens. But I've given up at this point. She'll think whatever she thinks and I'll just tune her out when she starts talking."

I don't know what to say. That is most definitely not what friends are supposed to be like.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's not your fault."

"Well...." I hesitate for a moment. "I could be your friend. If you want."

The look she gives me is incredulous.

"Are you kidding me? Of course we're going to be friends! We are already! You're basically the only person I actually like in this whole school. And you have a great personality to match mine."

"Really?"

"Absolutely."

We share a smile. Both of us finding comfort in those words.

I'm still slightly wary but I think I just need to get used to it

We walk to the door and just as is she reaches for the handle, it flies open.

Angel stands on the other side.

"How much time do you need, Princess? I've been out here for-"

It is then that he looks up from his phone and sees that I'm not alone.

His eyes travel from mine to Althea's.

His features are bland for a few moments. And then, a wicked smirk crawls its way onto his face.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

How are we liking this friendship?

Also. I was just wondering if you guys are liking the shorter chapters. Apart from the whole less of the story thing. Do you prefer long chapters or short chapters?