Chapter 27. Foolish Humans

Azalea's heart seemed to drop in his stomach.

His scampering footsteps had thumped continuously, throbbing a headache. The feeling of imminent danger never fades away from his senses.

His locks of feathery white hair bounced in the wind. Azalea didn't stop running. He needed to run away from November. Why was there a demon disguised in their school? What exactly was November's goal? Why did she want to destroy S Academy? Why did she want to kill him?

Azalea remembered the smile of relief on November's face, when she'd finally grabbed onto his face, and formed a blade to decapitate him with.

Fortunately, all was foiled.

But the memory scarred Azalea's sight for who knows how many years.

"AZ! We finally found you!" A relieved cry came from afar. When Azalea looked up from his scampering footsteps, he saw his group of friends.

Daphnne was jumping up and down.

Percival was smiling.

Lucilline was—

Azalea paused. He couldn't figure out the expression on his dear friend's face. As they grouped back together, Daphnne kept on pummelling Azalea's shoulders, talking about how worried they were for him. Percival explained how one of the demons revealed that November was the mastermind, and that they were almost scared into becoming an ice sculpture.

"I'm fine." Azalea reassured them. He smiled, with his white teeth glimmering, "Look at me, I don't have a single wound on me."

"Indeed..." Daphnne's eyes scanned her childhood friend.

As they continued walking, Azalea felt a small tug on the back of his shirt. Turning around, Azalea was stunned by the sight he saw.

Beautiful locks of black hair had reached down to the nobleman's back, appearing like ink sprawling across blank pages. Lucilline only wore a white shirt, with short sleeves, which revealed his pale and unblemished arms. His slender figure used to be standing full of magnificence and pride. However, Lucilline now looked a bit pitiful.

Lucilline frowned, "Are you sure you're alright?"

Azalea's heart thumped aloud twice. He could no longer control the speed of his heart, nor the loud sound of it. He swore that everyone next to him could hear his heart beating out of control!

"...I..." Gradually, he felt the black-haired nobleman's hold on his shirt tightening.

Lucilline bowed his head, with shadows muddling his sight. His slender fingers held onto Azalea's white shirt, unwilling to let go of it. "...I'm sorry."

For some odd reason, he felt a buzzing noise at his ears. Lucilline's hands tightened by his sides, with his nails piercing into his flesh. Slowly, blood dripped down from his palms, but quickly vanished without a trac due to the Sequence Contract.

"...It was all my fault." Lucilline stared at his shoes. He sent Azalea off with November. He sent Azalea to die. He endangered Azalea.

He was constantly reminded of his identity—a villain.

Perhaps, it was impossible for him to be a good person. He will forever be the villain who harms the heroine and make leads in the end.

Amethyst purple eyes widened.

Azalea pursed his lips. His racing heartbeat had died in the air, and his sense of fluster had faded away. He could feel the sorrow hanging around the black-haired nobleman.

"What are you apologizing for?" Azalea frowned.

Lucilline remained unmoved. His bowed head were surrounded by a horde of conflicts.