Chapter 61

Maddy was in charge of the wedding preparations.

She had nothing better to do. Some days she called her brothers. Other days, she talked to Elena, Bonnie, and Caroline. Every now and then she'd have a conversation with Jenna or Meredith. She kept up less with Kai and Monique, who were apparently getting along so well, that they couldn't answer their phones until they were taking breaks from their lovely little interactions.

Klaus was doing his best to help Hayley, but he didn't really know what to do for her. The first week had been devoted just to her learning the ins and outs of being a hybrid. Klaus guided her through the difference in heightened senses and how she could use her tracking to a greater extent now. Once she got used to a strict feeding schedule, Jackson started working with her to break the sire bond, which Klaus did not actively participate in. It made him remember times that he preferred to not think back to.

So, in those moments, he'd sit with Maddy, hearing her going on and on about all her ideas for what the wedding could be like. For someone who didn't want a wedding, she sure was trying her best to make Hayley's something special.

"And I told her that I could set up a really nice area in the Bayou," Maddy was saying, "or, if the weather isn't that good, we can set everything up in this venue near enough to the Bayou so that the wolves who don't have cars can get there without much effort."

Klaus just nodded, and she continued with outlining the different colors that would be used, and how the centerpieces would be arranged. He couldn't help but smile, seeing her so excited. Whenever she was happy, so was he. His eyes flickered over to her stomach every now and then, listening to the baby's heartbeat for several seconds.

Every day it grew louder and harder to ignore. And every day it all began to feel more real. He hadn't interacted with it much, even though Maddy talked to it every single day, rubbing her belly and speaking to it even if it couldn't understand her. Klaus didn't see the appeal in that. There was still a certain degree of disconnect that he was trying to get over.

Soon enough, he figured that he would not be able to contain the excitement he was trying to force down, out of fear that he would jinx it, and something would go terribly wrong.

He thought of Ansel often in those moments. He had caught sight of him several times, walking past the Compound and stopping in corners to listen in with his wolf hearing, just to make sure that Maddy sounded alive and well. Usually, she was talking to someone or just to herself, which meant he could ensure she was fine without much effort.

It angered him that Lily wasn't doing the same. The woman hadn't even bothered to contact her daughter. To ask how she was doing or if she needed anything. According to the news they had from Mystic Falls, Damon and Stefan were dealing with what seemed like a rebellious teenager. Lily was being cruel and demanding that they help her return to the prison world for her heretics. Unbeknownst to them, Kai was working on that. Soon, Lily would have what she wanted, and perhaps then, she would cease acting like a brat, and start acting like a good mother.

Klaus sometimes wondered if he should ask Ansel to come by once a week to keep Maddy company. Sure, she enjoyed getting to see Hayley and Jo, and she would be meeting Cami soon, which meant she'd have another person to talk to. But all three women were incredibly busy. Jo and Cami had jobs. Hayley had to focus on her pack and learning to be a proper hybrid before starting the wedding trials. Ansel had no job. He didn't need one. He had all the time in the world to come talk to Maddy whenever she was lonely. The only reason he hadn't stopped by again was because Klaus had told him to get out.

But at least Ansel was attempting to have a relationship with the baby. At least he was trying to help it and Maddy in any way he could. Lily could care less.