Chapter 38

Unedited 02/03/2022

  "The place is in very good condition, but I saw a few things in the kitchen which need touching up.  A place like this has to get regular maintenance for it to maintain its quality," Christoph changed the subject.

  "I'm not talking about any big work, let's look at them as preventing having any big maintenance to do," he quickly clarifies when he saw the look on her face.
  "Don't worry I'll take care of them before I leave." 

At the mention of leaving Jesreen turned to look at him. She knew he had to go home but for some reason, she had not thought about him leaving before.

  "When are you leaving," she asked.
  "I'm not sure."
It's not like he has a job or anything waiting on him back in New York. I'm going to have to do something about that he thought.  He has as much compensation money, as the government called it, to live a simple life. But he wants to get involved.

  "You don't have to be in any hurry to leave, It s a big house for me alone. It's not like we will be getting into each other's way. That is if you don't have anything you have to rush home to.

  "No, I don't have anything rushing home to, but we'll see about that."  He was happy about the offer to stay as long as he wanted. As he said, nothing rushing home to. He could even think about coming closer to life.

He remembers him and Megan discussing them living in the area. It was indeed a nice place to live, but does he want to live there without Megan? He questioned himself. 

They sat there talking about different things, including the father of the baby. Jesreen explained to him about Terry and him not wanting the baby without giving as many details as she did when she was telling Kevin. Once more, she was glad there were so many miles between them and Terry. 

Eventually, they said goodnight and went to their bed. Christoph saw the upstairs for the first time, he smiled at the evidence of Megan's presents and without her being there.

Jesreen woke up Sunday morning knowing something was different, it took a few seconds for her to remember what it was. She smiled, remembering the man that came back into her life for the second time. He was different from the man she had come to know over this past year. This man was her father.

She got up and while she is getting ready to go and make breakfast, she remembers the two of them sitting and talking for hours last night. He was so caring and gentle, he promised to always be there for her and the baby, and she believes him.

Now more than ever she sees the man her mother fell in love with. The man she was still in love with. The man she held no animosity towards, even after what he did last year.

She looked out the window and was surprised to see her father cutting the edges in the backyard. She hurried downstairs and when she noticed that no fresh coffee was brewed, she gets busy. Taking a visual audit, she decided she will have to go shopping the following day.

Christoph did not get much sleep the night before, but it was different from those other nights when he could not sleep. For the first time in over a year, you felt some level of Hope. Even for the two weeks, he was sober before coming to Sunnyside, all he felt was anxiety.  Now he felt like things were on the right track for him.

He knew he had a lot of work ahead of him to reach where he wants to be, but he was never the one to run away from hard work.

He found himself starting to think about Megan less like the woman who betrayed him and more like the woman he loves. The woman who did a great job raising his daughter despite all challenges she faced over the years.

He wondered if the father of the two small children loves her if he treated her well.  Why he had never married her.  Why didn't she marry someone over all these years she was told he was dead? He guessed he will never find out.

After giving up on getting any more sleep for the morning, he decided on finding something to keep him busy until Jesreen woke up. He wandered into the backyard and saw the lawn wanted to be cut and the edges groomed. He went on a hunt for what he wanted to get these jobs done, when he was satisfied with what he found, he decided he was going to start with the edges.

By the time Jesreen wakes up, he will be finished with the edges and can move on to the lawn. That w he won't disturb her rest. She needed all the rest she could get plus she's doing that work that kept her on her feet so much.

A/N

I hope you love my new cover. I'm sincerely sorry for the length of time between my updates. I will try my best to get the next chapter in before the Internet started acting up again.

Be safe out there one and all.