Chapter 14 - Serious Dialog

Over the weeks Dash Rendar managed more and more to retake Nomi's heart. Every time he came with contraband to Hoth he brought something nice for her. He downright courted her.
Fuzzy got slowly used to the man in Nomi's life, but the droid was the only one if it came to this.
Tarik looked over to the happy couple and scowled. He still wasn't fine with his friend's lover.
"Hey, what's wrong, Tarik?" Commander Antilles asked as he noticed the winged alien's expression, as he passed him.
The pilot pointed at Nomi and Dash who seemed to have a spirited conversation. Wedge raised an eyebrow. He wasn't aware until now that Nomi was interested in one of the smugglers who worked for the Alliance.
"She knows him from Tatooine," Tarik said and turned his attention to his commander.
Antilles took a closer look at the man, who was speaking with Nomi. Now he remembered the man's name, Dash Rendar. The commander of Rogue Squadron had met him from time to time, when the smuggler delivered supplies. He got the impression that Rendar was a cold and cynical man, who didn't care for anything or anyone other than himself. As a commander Wedge felt responsible for the wellbeing of his pilots and he wondered if he should speak with Nomi about her relationship to the smuggler and mercenary.
"So they are old friends?" He asked Tarik who still stood by his side.
The pilot ruffled his feathers, which was always a sign that he wasn't overly excited about something, before he answered his commander's question.
"I wouldn't call them old friends, Wedge. They met on Tatooine and since then Nomi has fallen for this guy," the alien finally said.
"I see," Wedge responded and nodded thoughtfully. It was really time to have a word with the young woman it seemed. This relationship could distract Nomi and he didn't need distracted pilots. What he needed were pilots being in the here and now.
"Thank you, Tarik," he said and looked over to Nomi and Dash as the alien pilot left. The smuggler kissed the young woman before he entered the Outrider. It was time for another run. Echo Base needed supplies and Dash Rendar would bring them.

Nomi wanted to leave the hangar when Wedge stopped her.
"Might I have a word with you in private, Nomi?" He asked, looking at her expectantly.
"What is it, Wedge?" The young woman responded.
"Not here. Follow me, please," her commander briskly said and entered the small hallway.
On the way to his quarters they passed several base members who made way respectfully for Rogue Squadron's leader. While they were walking Wedge pondered over how to begin. It was a delicate case and he was well aware that he might overstep a line. After a few minutes they had reached his quarters. He put in the access code and the door opened with a hiss, revealing a sparsely furnished room. Wedge let Nomi enter first, making way for her. Then he followed suit.
"Please take a seat," he said, pointing at a chair standing at a small table.
Nomi did as she was asked to do and her commander sat down on another chair opposite of her. He had still no idea how to begin the conversation and therefore stalled it.
"Do you want a mug of caf?" Wedge asked, reaching for a pot and two mugs without waiting for a response. He was actually nervous. Why must life be this complicated?
"Yes, please," the young woman answered. She had noticed Antilles' tension and wondered what the reason might be.
The commander poured her a mug and slid it over and then he poured one for himself. He took a sip of the hot liquid and was finally ready to speak with Nomi about his concerns.
"I saw you together with one of the smugglers who are providing us with supplies," he began carefully, still not being sure if it was the right thing to do. "You seem to be very close to him."
Nomi raised an eyebrow and set the mug back on the table. She hadn't expected that the conversation would be about her relationship with Dash Rendar. Was Tarik behind it?
"I know Dash from Tatooine and am glad that I met him here again," she said reluctantly.
Wedge nodded his head and took another sip of his caf.
"You know that this man doesn't have the best reputation? He is known as cynical, arrogant and egoistic. I'm concerned for you as your commander and your friend, Nomi. I don't want you to be hurt. There are so many nice men in the galaxy. Why did you fall for such a scoundrel?" Wedge was well aware that he was walking on very thin ice. Actually he had no right to question Nomi's relationship.
The young pilot frowned hearing this. First Tarik now Wedge. Why weren't her friends able to accept Dash to be in her life?
"Dash would never hurt me, Wedge, he isn't like you think. He is gentle and loves me with all of his heart," she was angry, but managed to speak in an even tone to her friend.
"I hope that you are right about this, Nomi," he took another sip of caf. "That he is worthy of your love."
The young woman stood up.
"If you would get to know him, you would see how he really is. Thank you for the caf, Wedge."
Nomi inclined her head and left.

When she reached her quarters she was welcomed by Fuzzy, who beeped excitedly. Nomi shook her head and sat down on her cot. There she pondered over Wedge's remarks. He was so wrong, since he didn't know anything about Dash's past. But she knew which blow of fate rendered Dash in the man he was now. She knew, but it wasn't her call to tell.