˗ˋ 56

CHAPTER FIFTY SIX

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THERE ARE
FURTHER INVITES

. . .

"As always, Miss Rosier, Mr Lupin, exemplary work." Slughorn examined the vial of potion that Remus had bottled and handed into the rack with their names neatly labelled. Pandora had a clear disliking to the man, and from the looks of her knife and knowing where she had stolen it from, the Lupin had quickly taken over that aspect and pushed the cork in before she could complain. It was only really fair (it was actually massively unfair), seeing as Pandora had been the one to easily put the potion together with only a minute amount of input from the boy. 

"Thank you, Professor." Remus's eyes flickered towards Pandora, as she was about to open her mouth and instead discreetly placed a hand atop of the one that rested on her thigh. She didn't say anything, just stared at him as Slughorn moved on. 

"What was that for?" She frowned. "Why did you do that?"

"Because you stole his knife. And..." Remus didn't know if his reasoning was entirely stupid, but it didn't stop him. "...Well, you've never stolen from any other teacher, so it's pretty obvious that you don't like... no, you don't respect him."

Pandora's hand trembled beneath his, but it remained still, frozen. "You're wrong." She said. 

Remus rose his eyebrows, gaze pointedly moving downwards as across the classroom, Slughorn began an attempt on telling James and Sirius off for messing up another potion (they never, ever took potions seriously until the exams). Between the boys' jokes, Remus continued. "Then why, Pandora, have you not moved?" 

Accusation glared in her eyes as she snatched her palm back. Remus watched her for a moment, as Slughorn continued to examine his N.E.W.T students' final products. This was why he hadn't wanted her to go back to the house she had spent so much time in. Because as much as he teased her, something was strikingly obvious; she was opening up, becoming more and more comfortable. And Remus felt proud. Of himself, sure - but mostly of her. It was such a change from their beginnings, and although she did still steal the odd item and continued to be rude simply for the sake of it, she was different. 

"I didn't realise." She muttered, arms crossing over her stomach and hands clutching her elbows. There was a flush of pink on her cheeks... she was blushing

Slughorn stood in front of the class once more, his position interrupting all conversations that had begun since he made his way around each of the pairs. "Your homework is to continue the in-depth study of aconite and it's uses in the several potions we know it for. Remember, at least fifteen inches - now, off you pop."" The teacher smiled as many of them got to their feet and hauled their bags over their shoulders, large potion textbooks clutched to their chest. "Miss Rosier, Mr Potter, Miss Evans, Mr Black - yes, you four, wait behind please."

Pandora's eyes flickered over to Remus in a panic, the first time she had ever seeked some kind of reassurance. In the presence of it, Remus smiled in what he hoped to be a comforting manner. This was a chance, and he stepped forward. His hand found the small of her back. "You're fine. I'll be waiting outside." He promised, slipping by her and the others and  joining Peter as they entered the corridor outside.

The Rosier stood in front of the teacher, Sirius making a point of standing as far from Pandora as he could manage, dragging James between them. Lily looked at him, tutted before standing beside her. "Hi." The ginger smiled. "I'm Lily. I don't think we've been properly introduced."

Her hand was extended and Pandora stared for a moment before shaking it. "Pandora." She replied, before turning her attention to Slughorn.

"Now, I'm sure you know what this is about." Slughorn clasped his hands together. He got a sea of confused faces looking back at him. "No? Well I suppose I need to be more specific. Of course, Lily, James and Sirius - you must be aware of the... soirées I like to hold at the end of the Gregorian calender - yes, Sirius, a Christmas party on the final night of term beore everyone returns home." He confirmed when Sirius began to make murmured comments. "And I would like to ensure that the four of you attend." He waved his wand and four invitations appeeared out of nowhere, flying into each of their palms.

They were ornate and neatly written, and Pandora studied her own before looking up at the professor. "You would like me to go to your Christmas party?" She asked, in the politest tone she could manage.

"Yes - I would.. love to." Slughorn nodded. He was, admittedly, rather cautious of inviting  the Rosier, however he was ready to collect anyone he deemed remotely important. And a girl who produced magic like no other, she was perhaps the one he felt the need to invite the most. "Of course, you can invite anyone you want as your plus one and-"

He continued dithering, but Pandora's invitation was now elsewhere. She could invite anyone else - and, well, there was only one option for that. And perhaps she would attend the social-climbing professor's party. She had been invited after all.