Chapter Thirty: A Willing Bride or a Successful Artist

Dearest Readers!

Let me offer you my most sincere apologies for taking this long to post the last chapter. Although I have abandoned the story for quite some time, I always knew that I would not leave you without an ending. It will be an emotional rollercoaster, but I believe it is the ending you deserve. 💎
When I started writing Franny and Benedict's story, I planned to have an ambiguous ending, so everyone would interpret it however they wanted. But as the story progressed, Franny and Benedict begged to differ. 
I thank all my lovely and loyal readers for the love and support I received from you, your comments and messages made my day. This fanfic and you helped me get through the pandemic and I had immense fun. 🥰🙌
✒️All good things shall come to an end. This will be the last chapter. I'll post a short epilogue later and I also thought about writing sth like "Inside Coal Among Diamonds" where I would share my inspirations and how the story changed throughout the process if you are interested.

So here you go, a long chapter to conclude the Bridgerton-Granville saga. Enjoy. ✨

L.H.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Dearest, Gentle Readers. To our greatest surprise, the event of the Season, the most sought-after ball of the year entertained by our all-favourite duke and duchess, seems to have been overshadowed by a peculiar ruse. Somerset House has long been known for its rich display of wondrous pictures. It has not been, as to this moment, renowned for paintings appearing out of the blue. We can only wonder who would have such audacity to sneak a picture in. The question is, of course, rhetoric.

Franny didn't close her eyes for a second. She tossed and turned in bed, knowing that judgement day was afoot. The moment the letter came ordering her to make an appearance at the queen's without delay, she would have collapsed if it wasn't for Benedict holding her.

The ride went by silence, everyone was too caught up in their own thoughts even to attempt small talk. They all knew that the consequences might be favourable or entirely horrific, but nothing in between. They devised and implemented their devious ruse and the moment of truth finally descended upon them.

"I shall talk to Miss Greenville alone," commanded the queen and there was no arguing with her. Seeing how livid Franny grew, Benedict planted his foot, but Violet and Lucy joined forces to gently drag him away.

Franny gulped as she was trembling like a leaf from head to toe but met the queen's dark gaze brazenly. If the end was nigh, she would meet it with her shoulders straight and tall and her head held high. She has kept her eyes down long enough.

"Can you recall the first thing I said to you, girl?" Queen Charlotte inquired, casually leaning against her throne, her face emotionless.

Franny cleared her throat to find her voice, "I believe it was something along the lines of Is there any reason you have arrived late to the Season and stealing my time with the most unruly presentation? And that you could have my head for how I replied," then she added quickly, "Your Highness."

The monarch nodded, slowly rose from her seat and walked by Franny, not taking her eyes off her for a second. As she approached, Franny suppressed the urge to flee and stood her ground. The smell of expensive patchouli hit her as the queen stepped in front of her and grabbed her by the jaw.

"Your memory serves you well. I also said that you would serve me great entertainment should I decide to spare you."

Franny didn't speak a word as the coal black eyes scrutinised her and fingers heavy with golden jewellery held her captive. For a minute or so they remained silent, eyes locked, tension sparkling in the air. Franny could her hear heart pounding in her ears and seconds moved excruciatingly slow as the queen's heavily powdered face was in line with hers. She felt as if she saw right through her and there was no need to ask how they implemented the ruse as she could read even the tiniest detail in her eyes. Her partners in crime, of course, should remain in secret, under no circumstances would she rat anyone out. She alone was to bear the consequences.