36

SOMEHOW, I MANAGED to fall asleep again on the coach, resulting in me missing afternoon reg, which apparently caused a lot of panic until Ms Ashley remembered she let me on the coach. Alas, I was dragged to have lunch with the rest of my wonderful peers since if I feel 'ill' its best to stay nourished. I don't know who made that rule up, but I officially hate them.

I'm now sitting at a table opposite Neki and Isabela. I was scared I'd have to face Parker but they both said they haven't seen him in a while.

These sandwiches suck, but I haven't eaten today so I guess I'll have to continue to choke them down, even though cheese makes me feel nauseous. There's conversation around me at the table, but I'm not really being forced to join, so I take it as my opportunity to stay silent.

"Elena?"

I look up and Neki is looking at me, concern in his eyes.

"Are you okay? You're so quiet." he asks.

I nod, filling my mouth with the dry bread so I have a reason to avoid talking. My eyes turn away from Neki who is staring at me now, studying my face with narrow eyes.

"Did something happen with you and Ash?"

My heart drops and I focus my eyes on an ant crawling across the wooden table.

"El?" Isabela reaches forward to hold my hand, but I pull away instinctively, getting up from my seat.

"Bathroom." I mumble, turning around and walking away before anything more can be said.

***
PARKER'S POV

Pushing my hands through my hair, I groan, resting my elbows on my legs. I feel like I've been punched in the fucking gut. My head has been racing ever since I spoke to her; I don't know what I did to make her upset with me, but I fucking hate myself for it.

"Fuck." I whisper, unable to stop the throbbing pain in my head.

Her words are bouncing around inside my head.

I can't do this anymore.

She said it so quietly it was almost inaudible, like she was saying it to herself. As if it was something she's been battling with for a while. How long has she felt like this?

My eyes prick with tears and I run a hand over my face so hard it almost hurts. I need to get a grip. We've known each other just over a month, and somewhere along the way I put my entire heart in her hands. Her clasp is so tight on it that I feel like I'm in physical pain.

I swore on everything that I would never let myself fall in love, and here I am, sat in some dimly lit ancient fucking vault I stumbled in to, feeling like my heart has been physically stepped on.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts as the slight crack in the vault door is pushed open, another figure entering. My heart catches in my throat as I watch her run her hands through her hair, eyes closed while a tear slides down her cheek.

She opens her eyes and the muscles in her neck tense as she sees me.

"Everyone's looking for you." Elena mumbles, scrubbing at her cheek with her sleeve.

Her lashes are stuck together, her eyes glazed over like she'd already been crying before she got here. My heart wrenches. The pink tinge in her cheeks makes me realise I'm staring.

I push myself to my feet, ignoring the throbbing pain as I walk over to her. She backs up a little, making sure not to push the door of the vault shut.

My hand reaches out to cup her face and she flinches a little.

"What have I done to you Elena?" I say quietly.