Chapter 40: The End

Author's note: Hello everyone! I hope that you are healthy and safe while you're reading this. We've finally arrived at the end of Married to the Villainous Duke and I am so happy that I finished writing this! I absolutely love historical romance novels and manhwas (especially princess-isekais like Who Made a Princess and juicy romance-dramas like Remarried Empress) which inspired me to write a story of this genre. It's the first time I ever wrote something of this length and complexity so I know there were many shortcomings and flaws in my writing.

Despite that, I hope you were able to enjoy reading. Every read, like and comment means a lot to an aspiring writer like me. I appreciate each one of you and I wish nothing but peace, love and happiness for everyone! Thank you for giving your precious time to read Married to the Villainous Duke! May only peace reign in the world!

Love,
Rae

~•~ ~•~ ~•••~ ~•~ ~•~

Five years have passed since Niko and Estelle have gotten together, although Estelle prefers to use the word 'reunited' rather than getting together. He finds it adorable that his girlfriend believes they were lovers in their past life. She asserts this whenever she would tell him about her reoccuring dream of the two of them dancing in a grand ballroom, wearing clothes befitting royalty from a historical fantasy.

"Why do you think I dream about that so often, Niko? Don't you think it's because we really were lovers in a parallel universe or maybe in our previous life?"

"Or maybe it's because you read too many novels, my love. It's messing up that pretty little head of yours," Niko says and kisses her forehead.

Why do I suddenly recall that conversation? I don't really believe in past lives though... Niko thinks to himself as he looks at the row of diamond rings in front of him.

He's usually extremely cautious whenever he makes important decisions but when it comes to Estelle he doesn't even need a second to think. He's always been sure about her. From that moment in Quireghes Park when she revealed her feelings for him, Niko had already decided that Estelle would be the woman that he'll spend eternity with.

"I'll choose this one," Niko points to a simple silver ring with a beautifully cut diamond in the middle.

Tomorrow, I'll ask Estelle to marry me.

~•~ ~•~ ~•••~ ~•~ ~•~

Nikolaidis rowed through the rough sea, exhausted and starving. His desire to avenge his wife the only thing keeping him going. He's determined to go to the one place he knows where he can gain the power to bring down the Ghesquire Empire: the Cursed Land.

I'm willing to become the villain if it's for you, Estelle.

After three years of toil, Nikolaidis finally obtains the approval of the Cursed Land's Dark Lord. He can now begin his plan to tear down the Empire and the first step is to demand payment for the debt Crown Prince Henrik owes.

Henrik has become the Emperor of Ghesquire, just like what he wanted. To wield absolute authority over an entire continent made him feel beyond happy but there was a crack that ruined what could have been his perfect happiness. It was the small voice in his head that whispered everyday, "Duke Nikolaidis will return".

The Emperor's anxiety, unbeknownst to anyone else, kept him from leaving the Palace and made him order the Empire's best sorcerers to cast a protective barrier around the Imperial Palace, barring enemies and any evil entities from entering. Henrik insisted that this must be done so no more evil desecrate the Imperial Palace after the incident of the Witch of Blanchard, the cruel name that they made for Grand Duchess Estelle.