Third Year

The first day back to school after the summer is always the best. It creates the illusion of a perfect school year ahead when in reality the first is nothing like the rest of the school year. No work, no drama, no classes. Third year is a pretty important year at Hogwarts. You have to choose a minimum of two new subjects to study up until year seven. I chose care of magical creatures, divination and ancient runes.

I'm probably going to regret choosing a third subject but it is what it is. Divination has always fascinated me despite Draco's attempts to convince me how stupid it is. Draco and Blaise had also chosen care of magical creatures. It was one of the most popular subjects to take In third year. Draco chose ancient runes and arithmacy and Blaise decided to only one other subject, muggle studies. This surprised me and Draco quite a lot.

"Why the hell did you choose muggle studies", Draco asks Blaise on the Hogwarts train. I kick him hard under the table.
"OW!".
"Why not? Seems interesting to me", Blaise responds calmly.
"Interesting? It's a useless subject, when are you ever going to use that information?", Draco says, unaware of his tone.
"Oh and ancient runes is definitely going to come in handy in the future Draco", Blaise rolls his eyes.
"You probably only chose it so you can have a class by yourself with (Y/N)", he sniggers.
My cheeks flush bright red.
"Shut up Blaise. You'll be the only Slytherin in that class", Draco huffs.
"I think it's cool. People don't expect us to take that subject because were meant to be muggle haters", I flick open my book.
"See draco? I'm destroying stereotypes one step at a time!", Blaise says happily.
I laugh and Draco grins slightly.
"Just don't start listening to muggle music in our dorm okay?", Draco says.
"Not even David Bowie?", Blaise says.
"David who?".
"Never mind", he sighs.

The normal traditions take place in the great hall. The sorting goes by pretty quickly and food is being eaten at alarmingly fast rates.
As I'm chewing I receive a startling pat on the shoulder.
I turn around the see Harry, Ron and Hermione standing behind me.
Hermione pulls me into a hug.
"It's so good to see you", I say wiping my mouth.
"We missed you on the train", Ron says.
"Ya sorry, I was reading and you know, babysitting these two", I say without thinking and Draco and Blaise shoot daggers at the trio. I almost forgot about the incident in hogsmeade.
"Welcome back Potter", Draco says smugly.
"Feels good to be home", He responds.
"Come by the library later", Hermione pleads.
"I'll be there", I smile.
"Well, we better leave you to it then", Ron says.
"See you later".

The boys mood has gone from 10 to 1 in the space of three minutes.
"Guys. Come on, you can't keep being like this", I say.
"Like what?", Blaise asks.
"You know what I mean. I'll be gone for an hour", I say.
"I had something planned for tonight", Draco says.
"Huh?".
"If you're busy it's fine, me and Blaise will go", he says stiffly.
"Of course I'm coming dont be silly". I respond and his face lights up.
"After the library", I add. His face dims again.
"So what's this thing you have planned", Blaise asks.
"You'll see", he says mysteriously.

I make my way to the library.
The trio is sitting at the back, Hermiones head in a book as the boys discuss whatever they're discussing.
"Hello", I sit down across from them.
"Finally", Says Harry.
"So, how's everyone been", I ask.
"Good. The burrow wasn't the same when you left though", Ron grins.
"That's true. Anyways, how was the manor", asks Hermione.
"It was good. I'm glad to be back though".
"We wanted to apologise for what happened at hogsmeade", Harry jumps in.
"You don't need to. It's in the past. And besides it was my fault. I don't know what I expected".
"You tried to do a nice thing (Y/N). It's not anyone's fault", Hermione reassures.
I smile weakly.
"I just think you have to accept that we don't get along. It's just the way it is", Ron says honestly.
"I know, I realize that now. But I don't want it to affect our friendships."
"It won't", Harry smiles.
"Promise?", I ask.
"Promise", they say in unison.
"So, what subjects are you all taking?", I ask excitedly.
"You sound like Hermione", Ron grins.
"Care of magical creatures and divination", Harry says.
"Me too", Ron says.
"And you Hermione?", I ask.
"Yes do tell her Hermione. Maybe she'll be able to understand better then us", Ron says heftily.
I furrow my eyebrows.
"Well, I'm taking all of the elective subjects", she blushes.
"What? All of them? How?", I ask, bewildered.
"Yes. How?", Harry asks.
"I just am. I've talked to professor McGonnagll and she's sorted some stuff out for me", she says hastily.
"But that's not possible? Half the subjects are on at the same times?", I say.
"Don't worry about it. It's fine", she says shutting down the conversation.
"I don't know why you'd want to take that many subjects anyways. Im stressed enough at the fact I go choose and extra two.", Ron sighs.
"Because Ronald, not all of us have no ambition", she says angrily.
"I have ambition. Just realistic ambition", he responds, clearly not offended.
Me and Harry laugh at this and Hermione goes back to reading her ginormous book.

I get back to the dorms and Draco and Blaise are playing wizard chess. They barely acknowledge my presence as I walk in.
"Wow", I say.
They look up, startled.
"At least pretend to be happy to see me", I say.
"Sorry, intense game", Blaise says.
"Sit down", Draco points the chair opposite them.
"So", Blaise begins.
"So?".
"How was it?".
"It was fine. Nothing to comment on", I say.
"Mhm", Draco sighs.
"So, you gonna tell us where we're going tonight", I ask.
"You'll see", he grins widely.
Me and Blaise exchange looks.