Chapter 1 - Rose Colored Glasses

Chapter Song: Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder

Evelyn
I've found that the best way to face the world with some semblance of joy and a will to live is to look at everything through rose colored glasses (I mean both figuratively and literally).

What started as a chore seems so natural to me now, I just changed my perspective. Now I notice all the simple beauty of the world. I see how kids' eyes light up when they see something that astounds them. I see couples in love, a family of ducks crossing the street, Harry Styles releasing a new song, etc.

It's funny how a little change in perspective can change so much.

Even now at work, I'm not focusing on the fact that I'm a miserable slave to corporate mediocrity. I'm taking a moment to be glad that I'm not working in Florida.

Anywhere in Florida.

Then again, nobody in their right mind works as a barista in California. Working customer service is signing your own death certificate with the cause of death written as harassment and verbal abuse.

But, hey, at least I'm getting paid.

Even for as rude as people can be, some are nice. There's a sweet elderly woman, Eleanor, who comes into the café every day at 8 o'clock and orders two muffins. There are a lot of things that I love a lot about Eleanor, but my favorite has to be her sense of style. Every day she wears bright colors, sometimes painting bright yellow pants with a bright purple shirt. The first time I saw her outfit, I thought that maybe she was going somewhere with a dress code. As time went on, I saw that she always wore fun, bright colors and I couldn't help but admire it. She always seemed so free; I admired that. One morning, Eleanor ordered a hot chocolate in addition to her usual order. I asked why and she said that it was for her granddaughter. She went on to tell me that every day she brings that second muffin to her granddaughter.

Sometimes I can't help but wish someone talked about me like how Eleanor talks about her granddaughter, voiced laced with love and adoration. Having a loving family to support and care for her no matter wh-

"Evelyn! What the hell are you doing?"

I could recognize the ear splitting voice of my boss anywhere.

"I'm restocking the coffee cups," I reply simply.

"Who told you to do that?"

"You did."

My boss, Leah, didn't say anything as she turned around and marched back into her office.

Okay. That was fine.

It could've been worse. She could've fired me like she did Vanessa.

I turned back around to continue what I was doing when I knocked down the cups.

This is fine.

At least a customer isn't standing behind the counter to witness this-

"I'm supposed to be receiving some good customer service here, but so far all I see is an idiot."

Wow, someone poured salt instead of sugar into their coffee this morning.

"Sorry for the delay, how can I help you?" I asked the prissy girl behind the counter once I was brave enough to face her with a smile. She stared at me like I was the most disgusting thing she'd ever seen.