Chapter XXII: Typhon

Noah didn't trust a word that the store seller said. He started mumbling his incantation under his breath, making sure to keep his lips sealed like he trained himself to do ever since he discovered his Voodoo abilities. He made a mental note to keep a small doll under the hem of his shirt, for using his body as a voodoo doll was not something to make light of. If he collapsed out of exhaustion here and now, with the door locked behind them, there would be no Honoka to save their lives.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you" , the red-eyed shopkeeper retorted, smirking at Noah as if they were partners in crime.

"Whatever do you mean?" , the boy smiled back, the most genuine he could manage.

The smirk turned instantly into a glare. The guy called Typhon left the spot behind his square-shaped table, and took slow, steady steps towards Noah. The boy couldn't move an inch as the bearded adult grabbed his neck from behind, pressed his forehead against Noah's, and held the wrist that was supposed to be holding a golden needle. The boy's irises turned opal white, and all light left them as he stared into those scarlet blood eyes, gleaming with the color of Death, turning his very soul into a statue sculpted with terror.

Noah felt the squeezing of a cold hand against his wrist, making him ache as all the blood was drained from his fingertips. The needle that was underneath his skin seemed to disappear, leaving nothing but emptiness behind.

This person...is not human. Noah's initial doubts were confirmed. Typhon was either an angel or a demon, For no one in his sane mind would be able to do so much in under five minutes, while almost not lifting a finger.

"You're here to buy a phone, aren't you? So let's be friends dearie, shall we?" , a sweet but cold as ice voice. Gentle, but coated with a fine layer of threat. A layer that could thicken at any moment.

"Sir Typhon '' , Hitori interrupted, having the guts to hold his wrist. Noah's gaze was trapped in the creature's, so he could not see the girl's eyes, but he could have sworn by everything he ever believed in that her honey-coated gems were burning with life, and something the boy couldn't quite tell, because it was hidden in the crystal clear irritation in her tone.

"Would you please leave my friend alone? He didn't mean to disrespect you whatsoever. In fact, we were just about to leave. We realized we don't actually have any money--"

"no no no no no no no no" without notice, Typhon let go of Noah. The latter released a breath he did not know he was holding, which made him all the way shameful for his very existence. The creature lifted his palms up in surrender.

"I don't need money,'' Typhon added. "Money is for humans. I need something else for payment. And you aren't leaving before you purchase the phones you always wanted with a grin on your faces!"

"But Sir, we are humans", Hitori giggled, and it sounded way too forced for her own good.

This time, the shopkeeper laughed along with her, as if it was the funniest joke in the History of humankind. He, then, turned serious again, as though a light switched off.

"Aren't you adorable, sweetheart. Didn't they teach you in school that lying is wrong?"

Noah frowned at this last comment. What is he talking about? Does he know of Hitori's ability? Does he mean that since we have powers, we are not entirely human? Or does he know something we don't?

Typhon rested his left elbow on the counter table, and his head on his palm. He stared at Hitori with amusement on his face, a mocking smile on his thin gray-colored lips.

"I suppose special dearies like you don't have a single idea who you really are. I mean, I get it. The girl is excused. Not many of us acknowledge our children. But you?"