21 - The Compound

Within a second or two, Pietro returns to the ship with the boy and Clint.

"Oh, thank god, you're alive." I sigh with relief, hugging Pietro.

"Hey, I'm here too!" Clint complains.

The three of us hop onto the helicarrier and head inside, going straight to the medial room to tend to our wounds. Clint lays across the medical bed, removing his arrow quiver, while Pietro takes his shirt off to reveal a bunch of cuts and a bullet wound or two on his arm.

"Jesus, P," I sigh, "let me help you." I cover a few cotton pads in saline solution and warn him it'll sting. Like I predicted, he winces and hisses a few times until I'm done. I wrap the bigger wounds with bandages and stitch up the smaller one.

"All done," I smile, "you ok?"

"Yeah," he sighs, still slightly in pain, "thank you."

"Anytime," I hand him a cup of water, "Clint? You need help?"

"Yeah."

I do the same thing with the wounds on Clint and pack up his armour. After, I patch up my own wounds and clean the blood off of all of our suits.

"Where did you learn how to tend to wounds?" Clint questions.

"Azzano, 1943," I smile, "I helped in the medical tents, although medical care is a lot more hygienic now."

"You're good." He compliments.

"Thanks," I nod, "I hope the team are alright."

"They'll be ok, Laurie," Clint reassures, "we're the Avengers."

~~~~~~

When we return to the tower a few days later, we join back up with most of the team again.

"Pietro!" Wanda shouts happily as she sees her brother again, "oh thank god you're ok!"

"I'm ok, I'm ok." Pietro laughs as he hugs his sister.

"Laurie." Natasha says from next to me.

"Natalia," I nod, "where's Steve?"

"He's looking at a new facility upstate with Tony and Thor."

"New facility?"

"The Avengers are moving to a bigger, less in the middle of New York building," she smiles, "once everyone has recovered from the battle, which it looks like everyone has, that's where we're headed."

I wander back into my room and begin to pack my things. I don't own all that much, just a few outfits and a couple gifts from the team. Friday, the new A.I. system, informed that the move should be complete in a few days, but that the team are moving today. I head down to the parking garage to meet Clint and Natasha. We load a few boxes and bags into the back of the car, and I help move some of the crates into the back of either moving trucks or planes.

"I call shotgun!" Clint says and Natasha and I laugh then get into the car.

"Who's this?" I ask from the back seat, seeing a man in a black suit in the driver's place.

"This is Happy Hogan," Nat informs, "the Head of Security at Stark Industries-"

"And Tony's best friend." Happy interrupts.

"And Tony's best friend." Nat chuckles softly.

"Hey, Laurie," Happy says, "Tony asked if you could help him in the tech lab once everything is moved over, you alright with that?"

"Yes, of course." I smile, thinking of the times I spent in the lab with Tony's father.

We exit the parking garage and enter out onto the streets of Midtown Manhattan. It's pretty late in the evening so the roads are quieter than usual but still busy. Lonely lampposts stand at the edge of the paths guiding tired New Yorkers back to their homes.

As we get onto Broadway, the blinding colours fill the entire street, advertising many different musicals, movies, tv shows and events. Excited musical lovers exit the theatres, buzzing about the show they saw and singing some of the songs. From the front of the car, Clint notices a large group of people leave the front of the theatre where 'Les Misérables' was showing.

"Do you hear the people sing?!" He yells out the window.

"Singing the songs of angry men!" I join him.

"You're a musical theatre fan?" He laughs.

"I've had my time to catch up." I smirk.

After a while, we get out of the main city and into a quieter area. It had been a few hours since we left the tower and the four of us were getting pretty bored. The road trip had been filled with songs, laughter, Clint's awful dad jokes and stories about everyone's past.

"Are we there yet?" Clint asks as Natasha groans, "I'm bored."

"Not too far." Happy says.

~~~~~~

Turns out he was right because we arrive at the new facility not too long after. Happy drove through the front gates and into the parking lot of the compound. It's by far the biggest working facility I've ever seen, with its huge glass front and multiple buildings, each of different sizes. We pull up outside the front entrance to the compound and the four of us get out the car. After grabbing a couple boxes from the trunk of the car, I head inside with Clint and Natasha, and we drop the boxes off in the lounge.

"Long time, no see, tough guy." I say to Steve as he walks over to us.

"It's been like... a day."

"Yeah, whatever, shut up."

"So," Tony claps his hands as he walks into the room, "how's everyone finding it?"

"The road trip, Clint's awful dad jokes or the building?" I question, receiving a jokingly offended look from Clint.

"The building," Tony replies, confused, "but any will do."

"The road trip, great. Clint's dad jokes, painful," I laugh, "but the building is awesome."

"It's a bit alien to you, isn't it?" Bruce asks, joining the conversation.

"A little, yeah," I sigh, "but Steve seems pretty comfortable here."

"It reminds me of the old army barracks." Steve smiles.

"Stop reminiscing, Rogers," Nat rolls her eyes, "we've got all of Tony's useless tech to move in."

"It's not useless." Tony huffs and follows Nat and Steve out the room.

"Your room is at the end of that corridor, by the way." Bruce smiles and points down the hall. I nod and head down into the room.

A smile tugs at the corner of my lips as I open the door to a new but wildly familiar environment. The windows at the back of the room light up a pine wooded floor, the windows themselves only covered by thin white curtains. My bed has a plain duvet cover and a few blankets thrown neatly over the top. The walls are decorated with posters of shows and sports games from the 1940s, with one part of the left wall holding an abundance of books.

"I have these for you." Natasha says as she slowly walks into my room. She hands me a small metallic box and smiles.

"What is it?" I question before opening it.

"Steve wanted to give them to you himself," she begins, "but he thought it would be too emotional." I chuckle softly and pick up the contents. The box contains photos of Steve, Bucky and I from when we were growing up and during the war. I begin to smile again as tears form in my eyes.

"I guess Steve was right," I laugh, ignoring the lump in my throat, "thank you, Natalia."

Once she leaves the room, I set the box with the photos next to my bed and change into my pyjamas. I've managed to find the same style of tartan lounge pants that I wore back in the 40s, which I pair with a plain black t-shirt. I put a record on quietly in the player before laying on my bed, letting myself relax into the sheets, and closing my eyes.