Chapter 04

The young pale boy stared at the faces that were filled with shock and frustration as they gazed at him. He robotically turned his head and stared at the cat and scratched it gently behind its left ear which was still by his side, purring.

He had pitch-black hair, a trait only passed down who had the imperial blood running in them just like their mother. And his eyes...

He had heterochromia eyes. His right eye was misty grey and his other was red. Though, unlike the color of blood, it isn't as strong as the color of crimson.

"Uh...Uhmm..."

Maverick stared at him blankly but snapped his consciousness back. He glanced at him with a frown, wondering how to address him. As if the boy was reading his mind, he inwardly scoffed and spoke.

"Alastair."

Edwin flinched slightly, rubbing his arms, completely confused as to why he felt a sense of deja vu. The people in the room looked even more certain at his name being revealed by the suspect party minus the twins. Some nodded in understanding, thinking he might be uncomfortable so they didn't question it out loud. Maverick silently examined Alastair and nodded his head in respect.

"You are within the inn of the imperial capital and we noticed a pendant's crest representing the imperial family and wish to confirm before sending you to the imperial knights."

Alastair gazed at Maverick, annoyed, then halted, glancing at something that caught his eyes. He looked at the beings closely while responding nonchalantly.

"Do as you please."

Linda held her twin's sleeve and shivered at Alastair's direct and obvious stare. Edwin also felt bothered by it and took a step back while grabbing a hold of her hand correctly.

"Uhmm, Brother... We would like to take a breather if it's alright with you?"

Confused at why they needed to ask for his permission, nodded his head despite feeling they should stay since they were more worried about the boy and had discovered him. Watching them walking hurriedly to the door, he tilted his head in puzzlement at their rushed appearance.

Shaking his head, Maverick turned his attention back to Alastair. He knitted his eyebrows at the prince who appeared even more mature, far from his weak look, seemingly to possess more intelligence than the twins. And the way he stared at them...

"Do you need something from them?"

He asked nervously, noticing Alastair's interest in not leaving his sight from the now-shut door. Alastair stared blankly at the door before shaking his head and mumbling.

"Familiar..."

Maverick glanced at him, inwardly heaving a sigh of relief, and introduced.

"We will take you to the imperial knight as soon as you recover and be able to move on your own. My name is Maverick Bernstein and the twins that left a few moments ago are Edwin Bernstein and Linda Bernstein. My younger siblings."

"Different features."

Alastair stated icily, giving only short expressions. Maverick couldn't help but pull his tight collar back a bit and smiled.

"If you don't mind, we would like you to stay at our mansion in the capital for a few weeks on our stay."

He carefully examined Alastair's expression for any changes. Alastair thought for a moment and inwardly clicked his tongue but nodded to his suggestion. He yawned, allowing Henry to carry him knowing he wasn't able to move due to something he wasn't able to forget before he met the trio and their subordinates.