thirty-three

1975

"Head on out, boss. We got this. See you in the mornin'."

They didn't have to tell him twice. Darry, now a manager for the construction company he had worked at for so long, gratefully accepted the out and headed for his truck.

The drive home was silent. The radio was broken and Steve hadn't had the time recently to fix it. The silence started to grate on his nerves, but the second he pulled into the driveway, his irritation flooded away. He tried to leave any anger or frustration he had outside of the home. His home would always be a safe haven, he had determined that when the ring slipped onto his finger.

The Curtis home was unchanged by time, even if the inhabitants had changed. The door was still kept unlocked and new kids appeared on the couch every day. They were always met with a hot meal and a listening ear and an invitation to return.

He could hear the noise drifting out of the house when he walked up the front steps of the porch. The TV blared with the nightly news but it was drowned out by the shouting voices arguing over the outcome of a card game.

Darry opened the front door to find the usual chaos that enveloped his home. Louise Montgomery, a card shark if he ever saw one, was currently draining Steve of all of his money while Sodapop helped her. Steve's wife, Evie, laughed from her place on the couch as she watched the three. Sodapop had changed due to the war. There was this constant haunted look in his eyes, even when he smiled. Steve and Evie let him stay in their guest room free of charge as he tried to acclimate to normalcy again.

Two-Bit sat on the floor, his eyes locked on the TV. Some things never changed.

Tim, Curly, and Angela would be by later. They never missed the monthly Curtis family dinner, except for when Curly was in the cooler again. It was the last time he went to prison because he was reamed out by a very angry cinnamon haired woman.

Ponyboy sat at the dinner table with Teddy, talking through some math problems for him. He stopped by every weekend to get a home cooked meal, grateful that the University of Tulsa was close by. He also helped out at the bookstore and record shop and would be taking over in the next few months when the main owner needed a break.

Darry ruffled Teddy and Ponyboy's hair as he passed by them. He beelined towards the kitchen where soft music played from a radio sat on the windowsill. He stopped in the doorframe and leaned against the wall, content with watching the sight in front of him.

She had ditched pants for the time being and elected to wear dresses, citing their comfort thanks to her current situation. The skirt flowed around her legs as she swayed side to side to the music. Her long, cinnamon colored hair was pulled back in its usual ponytail, and he had to restrain the urge to let her hair hang loose so he could tangle his hand in it and kiss her senselessly.

"You gonna stand there or you gonna come over here and say hello?" Her gentle voice was laced with humor. Darry grinned as he crossed the kitchen to greet his wife. Caroline turned, exposing the rounded bump that took up most of her slight frame now. He rested his hand on top of her stomach and kissed her sweetly.

"Missed you, sweetheart. How was work?"

"Good. 'M gonna need help moving some boxes and shelves around next weekend. Figured I'd rope you and the boys in. Think you can do that?"

Ponyboy's track scholarship gave them extra money that they didn't know what to put towards. Until Darry took a business class and came home to tell Caroline his idea. A few months later, with a small loan from the bank, they opened a book and record shop that was booming with business from both socs and greasers.

"I think we can manage that," he chuckled. "How are you doin'? She kick anymore today?"

"He and no, he didn't. He only kicks when his daddy is around."

"It's a she, but alright. I know better than to argue with the missus."

"You keep humorin' yourself, Mr. Curtis."

He pressed a kiss to her cheek. "She's gonna have your eyes. My brown eyed girls."

Caroline rolled her eyes, a smile playing on her lips. "Who knew Darry Curtis could be such a sap?"

"And who knew Caroline Curtis was so mean?"

Caroline laughed, turning around in his arms and drawing him in for a deep kiss. "Apology accepted?"

"Hmmm," he considered it for a second and then pulled her in for a kiss again. "That's better."

Rain started to gently patter against the window, but he didn't mind. If it weren't for rain and cheap diner coffee, he would have never had the chance to stand in this kitchen, surrounded by the people he loved, with his wife and child in his arms.

So let it rain, he decided. Let the world bloom.

A/N: and that's a wrap! This story is a weird one. I had the majority of it written when I was in high school and so I felt like I needed to tie it up. I can guarantee that 16 year old me had no plot or end in sight so I had to go with what I thought younger me wanted. I hope you all enjoyed.

If you like this story, check out some of my others! Marvel, 911, and soon...Twilight :)