Bonus Chapter - 1

Ace

4 years later...

"So the princess never left?" The sweet voice of my daughter Aveline rang in my ears. She was speaking from about the blankets I tucked her into, staring at me with those grey eyes.

The grey eyes didn't break its strong gene. Athena was so proud of me.

She would have probably murdered me if our kids didn't have grey eyes.

"Never. She was selfless, she knew she deserved better but she stayed with the heartbroken prince, caring and loving him with all of her pure heart." I answered, my eyes flickering over to her side where Stephan was already fast asleep with his tiny mouth open.

Sweet kids. With the beautiful names of my beautiful family.

Ava followed my gaze before rolling her eyes. "Stephan always sleeps like that, it's so annoying when the drool is on me." I suppressed a smile.

Aveline was...so perfect. The perfect little angel Athena could give me. She was just turning five and she already knew how to braid her hair, count from 1 to 200, and all the alphabets, including a few words from Spanish. And all of the basic English vocabulary.

She was a freaking cool kid. Just like my sister.

"He's just 2, princess." The word princess made her remember the story I was telling.

"Oh, why? Why didn't she leave? She knew it was bad for her and she still stayed? That makes no sense."

Yeah. It never made sense to me too.

"Sometimes things don't make sense at all," I paused, wondering what I should tell her. "Maybe your mommy can answer that."

"Why?"

"Isn't your mommy like a princess? She might know."

"No, I am the princess!" She cried suddenly. Oh shit.

"Yes, but mommy was a princess once too. And when years pass by, a princess becomes a queen."

"Why? I don't want to be a queen one day." She sulked in distaste.

She got her stubbornness from Athena, I can say that for sure.

"You will always be my princess, Aveline darling." I kissed her forehead, calming her down. She frowned but said nothing more.

Just when I thought I could never escape her 'why' questions the door creaked open.

Both our attention turned to it as Athena, freshly out of the shower came inside silently.

Her hair was wet and cut short, reaching her shoulders. She wore a silky nightgown as always, the ocean blue eyes shining as she watched us all.

She looked tired. She had to stay back and make multiple jewelries customized for a special customer.

"Well look who isn't asleep." Athena crooned, flicking Aveline's nose. She giggled, watching her mommy place a gentle kiss on Stephan's forehead.

"Mommy? Why didn't the princess leave him?" Athena turned around at her question, looking at both of us back and forth unbelievably.

I shrugged. There wasn't anything I could do about the small situation.

"This story is the only one you have been hearing since the last five years." There was a hint of desperation in her tone, making me suppress my laugh.

Kids asked a lot. All the time.

"I don't know why I just love it," Ava replied, waiting eagerly for her mom to answer the damn question.