↳ 3.16

second, and then the third

January 14th, 1995

"I APOLOGIZE FOR not being home again today," Mr. Allen said through the phone. Through the receiver, Daisy could hear the ruckus of Allen Incorporation's noises, the discordant chorus of ringing, the slurppp of people drinking coffee, the whirrrr of money counters calculating bills, and people shouting each other's names every now and then.

"It's alright, Father."

"Do you have anything planned for today?"

"Yes," Daisy said, "Dominic insisted for us to have dinner together. Everyone will be here in the evening. And Vincent promised to call at noon."

Also, breakfast with the maids and a luncheon with the Weasleys.

"Splendid, splendid! I told you, the tea time with our neighbors would do you some good. I have to go, Jane. Goodbye."

"Goodbye. Have a nice day, Father."

The line went dead.

Daisy sighed and looked around her vacant room. How big, she thought, and how lonely. Her eyes landed on the family portrait, hanging over the door, and she remembered the exact moment it was captured: her fifth birthday. Her mother had bought her a three-tiered, Disney-themed cake, and decorated the living room so colorfully in balloons, ribbons, and stuffed toys. A hired photographer was telling the three Allens to pose together and, all of a sudden, Mrs. Allen dipped her index finger into the frosting and wiped it on Mr. Allen's nose.

He didn't get mad at all. Instead, he laughed along, and it turned into this lovely portrait Daisy loved so much.

He rarely got mad back then.

She could vaguely remember Marisol, Dominic, and Atlas coming as guests to her birthday party. They were standing with their parents on the other side of the camera.

I miss you, Mom.

But then, the door creaked open, and Lucy appeared with a small cake in her hands.

"It's your mother's anniversary of passing, Miss Jane, so—"

The door was opened wider and the rest of the Allen Residence's workers appeared.

Happy tears pricked Daisy's eyes as she beamed gleefully. Her mother might be gone and her father might not be acting like one, but there are a number of things she could be grateful of today. Like every new family she had found along the way.

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

February 12th, 1995

Youth Science and Engineering Competition UK
Preliminary Selection Scoring Sheet

Participant name: Daisy Jane Allen
Age group: 14-16

Title: Scientific Design and Force Calculation during Aviation of Steerable Flying Broom

"WHAT IS THIS?" Daisy looked up from the thick bundle of paper Ms. Sloan had just handed her.

"I submitted your paper into a national competition."

Daisy grimaced, "Oh... I failed, didn't I?"

Ms. Sloan only smiled thinly, and the very slight sliver of hope Daisy had let herself have went away immediately. "You should see their comments, Jane. I myself agree wholeheartedly with the jurors."