12. 𝗯𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗯𝘆...

MONICA'S BLACK SUV ROLLED TO A STOP OUTSIDE THE SKIRT OF WESTVIEW, NEW JERSEY. She climbed out of her SUV while scanning the surrounding area before fixing her gaze forward, squinting her eyes slightly when the bright sun reflected from the street. Monica spotted three men standing near the Westview sign, almost awkwardly like they were trying to keep their distance from the FBI agent.

     The two police officers were leaning against the boot of their patrol car, sipping on their coffee with boredom written on their faces, eyes trailing Monica as she approached the three. It was like Monica and the FBI agent were wasting the sheriff's time, and neither of the officers wanted to be there from the looks of it.

     The FBI agent noticed Monica and politely dismissed himself from the officers, making his way to the woman.

     "What's the story here, Agent Woo?"

     "I've got a witness set down the road in Westview, and this morning, it looked like he flew the coop."

     The woman cocked a brow. "Your missing person is in the Witness Protection Program?"

     "I have contacted known associates, relatives . . ." Jimmy lists.

     "And let me guess, none of them seen him either?"

     "No," Jimmy interjects, shaking his head. "None of them have ever heard of him." Jimmy searched for Monica's reaction through the sunlight pouring from behind the horizon. Monica jerked her chin toward her neck with a puzzled expression. "Something seemed hanky to me, so I took the first flight out of Oakland to interface with the local law enforcement, which is when I encountered a new wrinkle."

     "What is that?"

     Rather than explaining the predicament Jimmy found himself entangled in, he thought he might as well show Monica precisely what he meant. So, he nodded toward the two officers resting against their vehicle as they watched Monica and Jimmy approaching them again. One seemed to have muttered under his breath to his friend, unbothered that the two agents could probably hear them. If they did, then they chose to ignore it for the sake of the case at hand.

     "Pardon me, Sheriff," called Jimmy, capturing their attention. "Would you mind repeating your claim about Westview to my colleague here?"

     Without hesitation, one of the sheriffs answered. "No such place," he says with certainty.

     Monica had to take a moment to digest his response, but it sounded bizarre. "You're saying the town of Westview, New Jersey, doesn't exist?"

     "It's what I kept telling your G-Man here, but he won't listen," retorted the sheriff, taking another sip from his coffee.

     "I see," Monica nods slowly, trying to wrap her brain around the whole ordeal. "And, I'm sorry, what town are you from?"

     "Eastview."

     Monica pursed her lips, nodding. It didn't make sense as they were quite literally standing in front of Westview, and there was a sign as clear as day, but the officers were adamant about there being no such thing as a town called Westview. Monica couldn't imagine what was going on in their heads, thinking that the town, populated with thousands of people, was suddenly no more. It was like Westview had disappeared from the face of the earth. Like no one but them knew about it.

     "Thank you, Sheriff," Jimmy nods in appreciation, bringing their conversation to an ender. "I'll reach out if we need any further assistance." Then, he and Monica turned away from the sheriffs, retreating to their vehicles as the other two started leaving. "I, uh, pulled phone numbers for all the residents. I'm only through the D's, but so far, I got Diddly Squat."