A Meeting with Mr. Peter

One day , Romanov was busy as usual in his documentation work . A commanding yet subtle presence crossed his cubicle . It was an unusual presence in the office , it was a high ranking politician . And no high ranking politician has set his foot in the office till now . Romanov closed the large binder and stood up . And Strangely Peter turned around and looked back at him . Romanov averted his gaze , but Peter kept on looking at him . Romanov ? he called out . Yes sir , Replied Romanov . Do you know who I'm ?  asked Peter . Everyone in Moscow does sir  , replied Romanov . That's good to know , that you know who I'm ,  Said Peter as he approached the desk of Romanov . Are you here for the colonel ? asked Peter . No , replied Peter . And Mr. Peter took a seat and he said to Romanov . No , I'm here for someone greater . I'm here for a soldier . Romanov was shocked that the politician was here looking for him . Romanov was nicknamed the soldier even though he was a colonel once . Sir , me ? Replied Romanov , How may I be of Help Sir , he ask him . I'm just a simple officer living in obscurity . Peter laughed , and said to Romanov . Then we are alike . Romanov whose face was serious up until now started to laugh . A lifelong friendship was formed in an instant . Peter without any further hesitation took a letter form his pocket and handed it over to Romanov . Romanov put on his glasses and took a good at the document . It was an offer letter , to be his deputy in the nuclear power plant at Minsk . Peter was sitting casually so as to not pressurize him in any manner . Romanov went through the letter carefully 

Minsk , Sir . Asked Romanov . Before Peter could say reply to him . Romanov insisted , Sir he said . Do not take it in the wrong manner . I'm honored a man of your stature  would even consider me to to be his deputy . Romanov kept the letter down . 

The honors all mine , replied Peter . And yes , Minsk . They want me gone from here , and be far away from them as possible . Romanov gave a puzzled look . And he said , isn't that strange sir , he said . They want me gone from here too . Far away from them . Well , laughed Peter . Then everything works out well doesn't , he said . Yes sir , said Romanov . But my family , I do not think my wife would be happy about me leaving . Peter took a hard look at Romanov , and he said . Think it over , I leave in a weeks time . 

Romanov went home , later that day in the evening . He had the offer letter with him in his hand. He had it in his hand in such a manner that it was visible for his wife to see. What is that she asked him ? Oh , its nothing dear , said Romanov , it is just an offer letter . An offer letter , she said. Yes , an offer letter . From whom is the offer letter , she asked him . Its from a politician , replied Romanov . That's great , she said . Are you being promoted . And after all these days , a sigh of relief . His wife started to smile uncontrollably , this is such a happy day . Yes , I'm being promoted he said . If I chose to accept the offer , I would become the deputy . A deputy ! that is wonderful , she said . But like all good offers , there is a downside to this as well , said Romanov as he sat down . So did his wife , take a seat . What is it ? she asked him . We are going to Minsk , I join in as a deputy at the Nuclear plant over there . Over at Minsk , said his wife . Are we not happy here at Moscow . And not even St Petersburg , it is Minsk of all places . I have a weeks time time decide dear , said Romanov . As of now nothing is certain and that is known to Mr. Peter , my employer . For a second there , I thought our fortunes were going to change , but no , not this time . Romanov , did not say anything . He just sat there in the couch , holding on to his letter . His wife looked at him , and Rome she said . Maybe , I think you do not want it to change , our fortunes . I think you like to be down and think all of this as a divine punishment  for a crime . And for what crime Rome ? his wife started sobbing . For a crime , you did not even commit . You are punishing yourselves and us along with it . I think this is enough Rome , she said . We do not want to be in your life anymore , me and the kids . You pack your bags and go to Minsk , but we stay here . We stay here in Moscow where it makes sense for us . And Rome , I sincerely hope that life makes sense one day to you , that one day it is worth to start living again . One day , you can see that life can be happy too , sometimes , even if it is for only a very brief moment .