xxxi. Better

나은

나은

HIS POWERS WERE meant to be used for good. That's at least what Jungkook had been told by Master Chan on his first day as a superhero, when he first started to use his powers that he grew to love so quickly. But why did it suddenly feel like it was a curse? He hurt his friend with those powers. His powers. And he wasn't powerful enough to save her with these powers. They were the reason she was in the hospital. It was Jungkook's fault. He was to blame.

He would remind himself of that constantly as he sat down in the hospital waiting room alongside his friends, scattered around the empty room in silence. He was sat on a chair, his eyebrows furrowed deep in thought as he pressed his elbows on his knees, his gaze glued to the tiled floor.

"What would that villain want with her or her father anyway?" Seokjin grumbled, crossing his arms in thought as he sat down beside Yoongi.

"Jungkook, do you know?" asked Namjoon gently. When he didn't answer, he raised his eyebrows in worry before speaking up softer. "Jungkook?"

A tear slid down Jungkook's cheek before he buried his face into his hands, crying into them as his shoulders shook, unable to hide his emotions further.

Jimin frowned before quickly going to Jungkook, sitting beside him and placing his hand on his back, where he rubbed small comforting circles. "It's okay, Jungkookie."

"It's not okay!" he sobbed, tearing himself away from Jimin, not angry at him, but rather at himself, feeling undeserving of any comfort. "She got hurt because of me."

"No, Jungkook, she didn't. Don't tell yourself that," said Seokjin worriedly.

"You don't understand," Jungkook shook his head, sniffling heavily. How could they? He failed at his only job; protecting others. And on top of that, his powers that he swore to use to protect were used to hurt one of the only people he cared about. "I could have protected her."

"You did the best you could, Jungkook. We can't all be superheroes like Raven or Firedrake. You were there and that mattered," Jimin told him, making Jungkook shake his head in denial.

But I am, Jungkook cursed at himself in his mind.

The sound of footsteps replaced the silence that followed, making the eight raise their heads in alarm. They were expecting to see a nurse walk through the door, except it wasn't.

Mina's father walked into the room, his worried secretary beside him along with a few bodyguards. Jungkook began to feel his blood boil. Not only was her father late to come to the hospital, he barely looked concerned for his daughter.

Her father looked around the room, seeing a few familiar faces, crossing his arms impatiently. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Jungkook immediately stood up, his fists clenched with anger as he glared at him. "We're her friends, the only people who actually give a damn about your daughter. Unlike you."