| chapter thirty five. |

♚ CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE ♚

YANAGI WAS AT A LOSS FOR WHAT to do after warming up when he noticed the youngest in Karasuno sitting alone busy with his hands while leaning against the wall. When he approached him, he noticed that Kageyama was actually filing his nails. Very focused, like when he's playing.

"Filing your nails?" Yanagi decided to start a conversation. Seeing the ravenette glancing up at him for a split second before returning to file his nails.

"Yes..." He put down the filer and focused his attention on his fingernails. "My nails were too long and my hands were too dry, so I'm taking care of it."

The older raised an eyebrow at the remark, and sat in front of him, watching Kageyama busy again, this time taking a bottle from his pouch. "What's that?"

"Lotion," he answered, placing the clear liquid in his palm and rubbing it even.

"Who taught you?" Yanagi inquired once more. He was intrigued because he had never seen anyone take such good care of his hands before.

"My grandfather told me that I needed to take care of my hands because I'm a setter, but this routine was taught to me by my sister," Kageyama explained.

Yanagi hummed, remembering Kageyama's older sister in the picture frame when he was in his house. "Can you do mine?"

Kageyama looked up in surprise but nodded slowly. He gently held Yanagi's outstretched finger while picking up his nail clippings. Kageyama grimaced at the touch, feeling the dry palms. The older could immediately feel Kageyama's soft hand, most likely from the lotion; despite there being some calluses, he still has the softest skin.

"So rough," Kageyama grumbled as he got right to work at his usual pace, nagged a few times about how he should take better care of his hands.

"Because I'm... a spiker?"

"I touch the ball more than Yanagi-san, and I do a few jump serves," he grumbled as he pouted. "Yanagi-san can't give excuses."

Kageyama was still fiddling with his palms, and Yanagi simply fell silent upon hearing his scolding. He's still can't understand why he needs to take care of his hands when he's constantly practicing volleyball.

He lifted up Yanagi's right hand, smoothing his thumb over the small calluses on his hand. He stared at the hand for a while, spreading Yanagi's fingers and then closes them again. "Yanagi-san's hands are really big," he muttered.

"Really?"

Kageyama nodded and hummed, placing his hand next to him to compare. "What does Yanagi-san eat every day? Any extra training besides volleyball? Yanagi-san drinks protein shakes or something?"

"I eat like a normal person. Sometimes I go to the gym in the morning. Yes, I drink protein shakes," he answered one by one.

"It's actually quite the same as mine. It's just that I run in the morning, do I have to go to the gym too? I want to be tall and big like Yanagi-san," he muttered. Yanagi raised an eyebrow.