Chapter 35 - Liliana In Labor!

Ava

It was the night before Aunt Chloe's wedding.

Aunt Chloe was having cold feet, so Liliana and I were in her room, consoling her that everything would be fine. We assured her that this time nothing would go wrong and she would be happy for real.

"I'm a grown-up woman, Mom. You don't have to worry about me," Liliana said.

"Exactly. She's becoming a mother soon herself. So you really should think about your own happiness hereon," I added.

Aunt Chloe's eyes filled with tears as she hugged us. "You're right. I'm probably just nervous about tomorrow."

"Don't worry at all, Aunt. Everything will be perfect. I made sure of that," I said proudly. After all, I was in charge.

Aunt Chloe smiled. "Then. I guess most of my worries are gone. Thank you, you two."

"Anytime," Liliana and I said in unison.

"You both should go to bed. I don't want black dark circles on you guys on my big day," Aunt Chloe joked.

"Well, you won't even know." When Aunt Chloe furrowed her brows in confusion, I chirped, "Because we have makeup." I earned laughs from the mother-daughter.

"Mom, do you mind if I stay the night with you?" Liliana asked shyly.

Aunt Chloe gave her a teasing look, looking at her nine months baby bump. "Didn't you say you were a grown-up woman?"

"You're the one who says I'll always be your little baby," Liliana protested with a grin.

Aunt Chloe laughed. "Of course, you can. C'mon. Goodnight, Ava."

"Yes, yes, you shouldn't leave Ace waiting too long," Liliana teased.

I gave her a tight-lipped smile and said, "Goodnight, Aunt Chloe, and Lily."

I went straight to Ace and my bedroom. Liliana was indeed right. Ace had said that he would be waiting for me to get back.

But it had been over an hour since I had gone to Aunt Chloe's room.

As expected, Ace was already asleep. He fell asleep in a sitting position while waiting. I smiled, looking at him.

I put my phone on the nightstand before heading to the bathroom, but my leg bumped into the nightstand, resulting in the purple glass jar falling on the floor and breaking into pieces. Its cap went rolling behind the headboard, far beyond my reach, making a gasp escape from my lips.

The glass jar was really special to me. It was my mom's favorite jar. I had designed its cap myself when I was young. The design wasn't anything special, but it meant a lot to me.

I would put my favorite quotes from novels into it by writing them down on the colorful chits. But now... it was broken and gone.

I was never going to get it back. I kneeled down and just stared at it.

I didn't even know I was crying until a hand brushed my cheek. "Baby, why are you crying?" I heard Ace's voice.

I was so overwhelmed with sadness, I couldn't even look up or ask him if I disturbed his sleep. I just...

"My favorite jar broke," I mumbled.

Ace stayed quiet for a moment before kneeling down and wrapping me in a warm tight hug. He had once said that he would always give me a tight hug whenever I would be sad, so that was what he was doing.