Chapter 6 | The Prisoner (Part 2)

"So, the package is being moved on a fortified transport ship." Mayfeld says, displaying the ship. "Now, we got a limited window to board, find our friend, get him out of there before they make their jump."

"That's a New Republic prison ship. Your man wasn't taken by a rival syndicate. He was arrested." Din says. Mayfeld leans on the table towards him.

"So what?" He says. Burg grunts in amusement. 

"A job is a job." Ran says.

"That's a max security transport and we're not looking for that kinda heat." Din explains.

"Well, neither are we. So just don't mess up." He replies.

"The good news for you is the ship is manned by droids." Xi'an says, pausing next to Din. Cordelia glares at the woman as she nears. "Still hate the machines, Mando?" She says, pointing to Zero with her knife as he walks down the ramp of the Crest.

"Despite recent modifications, the ship is still quite a mess. The power lines are leaking, the navigation is intermittent, and the hyperdrive is only operating at 67.3% efficiency. We have much better ships. Why are we using this one?" Zero says, joining the group. Din and Cordelia both glare at him as he insults the ship.

"'Cause the Razor Crest is off the old Imperial and the New Republic grid. It's a ghost." Ran explains.

"Yeah, and we need a ship that can get close enough to jam New Republic code. So, when we drop out of hyperspace here, if we immediately bank into this kinda altitude, we should be right in their blind spot, which will give us just enough time for your ship to scramble our signal." Mayfeld adds.

"It's not possible. Even for the Crest." Din says.

"That's why he's flyin'." Ran says, pointing to Zero with his head. Din tilts his helmet, ready to argue as Mayfeld laughs. Cordelia slips her hand into his, hoping to calm him. "Mando, I know you're a pretty good pilot, but we need you on the trigger. Not on the wheel."

"Don't worry, Mandalorian. My response time is quicker than organics. And I'm smarter, too." Zero says.

"All right. I-Yeah. That's good." Ran says, patting the droid on the shoulder as he turns and joins the others near the Crest. "Forgive the programming. He's a little rough around the edges. But he is the best." They turn towards the ship and Din points to Zero.

"How can you trust it?" He asks. Ran clicks his tongue and grabs Din's shoulder.

"You know me, Mando. I don't trust anybody." He says, leading the two towards the ramp. "Just like the good old days, Mando. Huh?" He says as Din and Cordelia reach the top. Din closes the ramp and heads to the cockpit as Zero flies them out of the hangar. Cordelia stays with the others, not trusting them alone.

"Leave that alone." Cordelia says as Burg starts pressing buttons on the armory. He manages to get it open and she sighs, pushing herself off the wall she was leaning against. 

Burg laughs and leans over to inspect the weapons. Before she reaches him, Din descends down the ladder. He spots Burg and presses the button on his vambrace to close the doors. Burg grunts and slams his hands against the doors in frustration. He turns and spots Din, reaching for the button. Din blocks him and he growls. Burg gets in Dins face and Cordelia glares at him, reaching for the blaster on her belt.

"Hey, hey, hey. Okay. Okay. Okay, I get it. I'm a little particular about my personal space, too." Mayfeld says, making Burg back off. "So, let's just do this job. We get in, we get out, and you don't have to see our faces anymore."

"Someone tell me why we even need a Mandalorian." Burg says.

"Well, apparently they're the greatest warriors in the galaxy. So they say." He explains.