Chapter 48: Home Sweet Home

Pulling up to the house I begin to have a smile on my face as the car comes to a stop. We haven't been gone long but it has felt like forever and I'm just glad to be back.

Since we left her parent's house early, we still have a few days together just the two of us. I'm going to plan something really special for Lizzie because I think she deserves it after everything that happened and I want to show her how much I love her.

As I step through the door into my house I am immediately struck with the smell of home. I look over at Lizzie who has a smile on her face and I can tell she is happy to be back too.

I bring all of our bags to the bedroom while Lizzie goes to the kitchen to make a small snack for the two of us. Since it is almost nighttime, we decided to go to bed early so that we have a full day to spend together tomorrow without being tired. Lizzie came up with that plan and I think a part of it is because she is just mentally exhausted from the past few days and needs to catch up from it all which I understand.

As I make my way back to the kitchen, I am greeted by a very beautiful Lizzie holding two bowls of fruit salad.

"Thank you!" I say and she nods her head after plopping a blueberry in her mouth. We sit on the couch and watch a quick episode of the modern family as we eat our snack. I watch Lizzie more than the show itself because she always makes these cute faces when something funny happens or a scene comes on that she likes. It's much more entertaining to observe her reactions.

As we finish up, I take our bowls to the kitchen and place them on the counter before walking back to Lizzie who looks like she is about to fall asleep.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Ya. I'm just tired. Can we go to bed now?"

"Of course, we can. Do you want a lift?" I ask her and she smiles wrapping her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist.

I place my hands on her back to support her as we walk into the bedroom. I step in front of the bed and pause as Lizzie leans back to look me in the eyes.

"I love you," she says smiling and leans forward to give me a kiss. Her lips are about to touch mine before I quickly throw her backwards onto the bed gently making her squeal.

I start laughing and she rolls her eyes making me laugh more. While she sulks on the bed, I go to the dresser and pull out two pairs of pyjama pants and two of my sweaters. Lizzie loves wearing my hoodies and the blue one is her favourite because I was wearing it the first time we met.

I walk over to the bed and hand it to her along with one of the shorts. I watch as her frown instantly turns into a smile. I don't think I will ever get tired of looking at her smile. It's one of my favourite things about her.

"Have I ever told you how much I adore your smile? I still blush every time I look at you. You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, other than myself" I joke and she lightly pushes my face away rolling her eyes again.

"Can't you just be serious for more than two seconds," she says and I smile.

"What's the fun in that?!" I say kissing her on the cheek. I stand back up and quickly get changed while Lizzie sits still observing my every move.

"Staring is rude you know."

"You're my girlfriend, I'm allowed to stare" she rebuttals and I nod my head in acceptance.

"Touché," I say and she giggles before getting changed herself. I make my way to the bathroom to do my nightly routine and Lizzie follows.

Once we are done, I open the sheets and we climb in before I fling them back over the top of us. I feel like it has been forever since I have slept next to Lizzie, even though it hasn't. I'm just glad to be with her again.