Chapter Eleven

Lianne

Natalia.

I stared at the caller ID in annoyance. That was the fifth time she'd called me that morning and each time was more annoying than the last.

I didn't pick up any of her calls or answer any messages but the fact that she was trying to contact me was enough to ruin my mood. More so as it was her call that woke me up this morning.

This was the first time in two weeks that I've heard from any member of my family and it had to be her.

Since the incident at my parent's place, I hadn't heard from them. It was unusual for us really. Mom and I talked everyday and dad at least four times a week. I use to be at their house a lot too.

I couldn't bring myself to call them as I was still angry they believed Natalia's lies over me. They knew she was untrustworthy from our teenage years and about how she constantly set me up to look bad.

Switching food ingredients, hiding mom's jewelry and telling them I stole it, actually getting some weed and planting it in my room. The list goes on for miles.

I use to think my parents would believe what I say over her but I guess I was wrong. I don't know why I expected them to anyway. She was their daughter too, they had every right to believe her even when it was completely obvious she was lying.

She didn't call a sixth time and I was glad. I didn't need her ruining the rest of my day.

The next half hour was spent laying at random corners of my house on my phone. I spoke to Rhetta and Frida, telling them about the horrible date I was set up on last night.

Frida especially couldn't believe what I was saying. She swore the guy was a gentleman and one of the most charming people you'd ever meet. I apparently didn't have the chance to meet that side of him.

The night was stressful enough but at least she'll hold off finding me dates for a while.

Speaking of dates, I was getting ready for mine with Oliver. Well, it wasn't a 'date' date as it was more of a friendly hang out. One where one of us has something bigger to gain from it.

Since we were just going to a cafe, I put on a pair of wash jeans, a cute halter blouse and matching sandals. I got there a few minutes after the time Oliver and I agreed upon. He was there already, on his phone with a deep scowl set on his face.

That was the first time I'd seen him look so angry. Whatever it was that he saw on his phone annoyed him deeply. He noticed my presence when I was two steps away from the table and mustered up the smile I knew him for.

That's better.

“Hey Lain.”

My eyebrows creased in confusion. “Who?”

“You. Remember I'm trying to come up with a nickname for you.” He recounted. “Guessing you don't like 'Lain'.”

I shook my head, taking the seat across him. “Sounds too random.”

He shrugged. “I'll keep trying.”

A waitress came by and took our orders. I got a croissant and some hot chocolate while he had some cake and coffee. We sat in silence for a little while, both of us enjoying our snacks before he spoke up.

“You want to tell me about last night?” He asked, fingers tapping the table.

I sighed with a shrug. “There really isn't much to tell. My friend set me up on a date, I went, didn't like the guy and walked away.”

“Why exactly didn't you like the guy?” He pressed.

“Well first of all, he was over an hour late, can you imagine that? Your first time meeting a person and you keep them waiting that long?” I gritted out, gradually becoming more annoyed. “Then he called me old.”