Chapter 6 : Leora

The windows whistled loudly as the wind hit them, rattling the panes, the noises filling the silence of the room I sat in.

The light from the bulb above flickered occasionally, and from where I sat, perched on the edge of the bed, I watched it, counting the number of times the light went out and then shone bright.

When silence eventually settled in once more, I knew it would not remain that way for long. According to the Alpha, Vakkar, a battle was soon to come.

I was not sure I could trust him, Vakkar. To me, the mere thought of a lycan actually being interested in my safety, was almost laughable.

I have only known pain and humiliation to come from attempting to trust lycans, and I did not want to make that mistake again.

However, my experience with lycans was only based on the ones here in this pack. Vakkar was not from Feldon. And the way he'd watched me as I had walked with him to this house, was unlike any way the lycans in this pack ever had.

My eyebrows furrowed and I looked down to my palms, seeing the small marks that rested on the skin because of the way I had dug my nails into them.

My nervousness had caused this to happen when I had felt Vakkar's gaze upon me whilst we had made the short journey to this tall, but rickety house.

When I had met Vakkar's gaze, briefly, he had continued to observe me, unashamed by the way I had caught him doing so, boldness and something akin to a striking possessiveness that made my throat dry, heavy in the depths of his dark grey eyes.

This was a strange thing to see, as I was only accustomed to someone watching me with either disgust or disapproval.

The wood beneath my feet and around the room abruptly creaked loudly, the sound terrific and odd.

My jaw clicked when I clenched my teeth, and I cast my gaze towards one of the nearby windows, straining to hear for any gunfire and the sounds of lycans roaring as they engaged in battle.

Nothing could be heard but the noise of the wind, however.

I certainly did not want to be in the midst of the battle when it did happen, so, I decided then that it was perhaps for the best that I did stay in this house. But, I couldn't help and question why Vakkar wanted me safe.

My eyes moved from the window and darted to the empty plate resting on a table. The taste of the cheese and warm bread that Vakkar had given me still lingered in my mouth.

The food had temporarily sated my hunger, but still, I craved more. I knew that there was perhaps more cheese and bread in the kitchen below, but I did not move, even though I contemplated getting them.

I looked towards the door of the bedroom, and as time passed by slowly, and my stomach burned painfully from hunger and the thoughts of food, I began to shift on the bed, only to jerk to a complete halt when I heard the lone sound of a gunshot piercing the air, the noise so striking and loud that a memory of my past filled my mind.

My fingers dug into the material of my father's pants as he hefted his gun up and took aim. Terrified, I held him tighter, weeping softly as repeated gunshots ricocheted in the night sky, screams, yells and roars strengthening the flow of my tears.

When I teared my gaze away from where my father aimed his gun, I saw the bodies of Alberrechians scattered along the grass, eyes open and staring at nothing, whilst gunshot wounds littered parts of their bodies.

Blood and spit flowed in my mouth when my father cursed and jabbed the butt of the shotgun he held into my face.

"Get the fuck off of me!" He roared at me, his face flushed red with his rage before he resumed taking aim, shooting that gun, his body jerking just slightly with each bullet that was released. Because of the hit, I fell to the ground, dazed, feeling the blow and sting from where he had slammed that gun in my face.