XXXVIII

Kids -

Third Person's POV -

Laying in the bed, the pain was clear on her face. She screamed every five seconds, hoping the baby would shoot out easily. Though, that wasn’t the case. Diana tried breathing excuses like the midwife suggested, yet, still, the contractions continued to wear her down.

Then, it came. A gush of water came out of her body, causing Diana, and her husband, to shriek.

“It’s time,” the doctor said. “Diana, I’m going to need you to push.”

And she listened… She pushed and pushed long and hard. An hour past before they made progress. The head finally showed. To Diana, the pain resembled two watermelons being pushed through a hole the size of a lemon.

“This isn’t good,” Doctor Johnor exclaimed. He widened his eyes. “It looks like something isn’t right with her. It’s the umbilical cord… it’s wrapped around one of the kid's neck.”

"Shit." Andrew grabbed his chest and started heaving.

“What does that mean?!” Diana yelled through her pushing and pain.

“If we don’t get the baby out now, she is going to die.”

“Do a C-section,” the midwife said.

“It’s too late. By the time I get ready to that the babies will be dead. I’m sorry, but we’re going to have to rely on faith alone for this.”

A doctor, someone who studied science and only believed in the facts, had to now rely on what he could not predict, on something that science alone could not solve. This, my friend, was also part of the prophecy.

“I've got to throw up,” Diana said. Her body was hot, heavy and in pain. She felt like this nightmare would never end.

It was as if she had gone to hell and back, though the fire continued to burn. Yes, this moment was supposed to be sweet and memorable, except it wasn’t. Diana wanted all the agonizing to end. Right here. Right now.

Everyone hovered around her like wild animals. She needed space. She needed air. “Get this thing out of me!” she shouted, squeezing her husband’s hand tightly. If the baby didn’t leave her body soon, she might faint.

“Do you need water,” Andrew chanted.

“Is the position comfy enough for you?” the midwife asked for the eightieth time.

“Keep pushing, you’re almost there,” the doctor reminded her.

No one could feel what was really happening. All Diana really wanted was for them to…. “Shut up!!” she screamed, still heaving and pushing steadily. Then, entering the room was Diana’s mother. She went by the bed and held up on of her daughter’s legs to help.

“Mom,” she said, relieved. If anyone could brighten her day it would be her mom.

“It’s fine, all you need to do is keep breathing.”

“They said one of the kids has a—”

Diana’s mother shushed her. “I already know,” she said. “Just keep pushing. Don’t quit now or all of this was for nothing.”

They went on like this for a while. Breathing, chanting, and pushing. It was a repeated cycle. Diana, feeling drowsy, was beginning to pass out. Who knew how long she had left to continue on like this.

“Please come out my babies", Diana thought to herself, I held you warm in me long enough. It’s time to come out and see the world. "Why couldn't I have been more careful of my pregnancy? This is all my fault. Not only are they premature but one of them has a cord choking them. If they doesn’t make it, I vow to end my own life. I don’t deserve to live without her." She loathed herself in that moment.

The babies didn’t seem like they wanted to come out, anyway. One of their head popped back into their mother’s body so quickly. Because of the blood being slippery, the doctor couldn’t get a good grip on the head. It wasn’t until the next long push that got the job done. Half the baby exited Maya’s body and the doctor was able to pull out the rest of the body. Soon, the second one was pulled out with ease. A boy and a girl.

Immediately after the doctor cut the cord from around the child's neck, the crying babies were put on Diana’s chest. Andrew stood close, smiling.

“I love you,” Diana said, looking deep into the kids' eyes. And with that, they went silent. No more crying, just silent.

 A minute based by and the mid-wife took the babies to clean them up and do a few tests.

"I'm never doing that again." Diana sighed, as Andrew came and hugged her, kissing her forehead.

"Yeah, that was terrifying."

_______________________________________

INSTAGRAM -

Dianacarrington -

Lilibeth and Jayden Carrington - Garfield reporting straight from London.

_______________________

Comments have been turned off for this post.

_______________________________________

A/N -

The next chapter will be the epilogue.