25 | In love with him

By:

First impression
I have a lot to un pack in this review and I'll be honest it might get brutal so I apologize in advance.

When I read the first chapter I was instantly bothered by the double spacing in the book.

I'm not sure if it's a bug on wattpad's part or not but I do hope you fix this problem

pacing

I do think for an unedited book the pacing holds up. But There is little time given to her navigating her way without her mother and in a new campus. which is a great arc in itself.

I think taking time for her to know more about being independent while she encounters this Dean guy BUT he's not the focus yet would make a good arc for Allie.

I read only 5 chapters so I won't go furher for pacing.

plot
The campus trope, it's been done before. The enemies to lovers, even more. I'm not saying it's bad though. These tropes are famous for a reason. They're fun to read tropes.

But it also depends on the way it is written. If the interractions between two characters aren't witty or fun to read, it can lose the interest of the readers.

Enemies to lovers are a hit because of it's expected dynamic between the main characters of the book from the very second they meet.

I'lll tackle this further in the characters category.

Anyway, this book doesn't really offer any of those exciting parts.

I do acknowledge that perhaps this book is going for a more darker tone but I was also not getting any of that from the 5 chapters I read.

It was difficult to know what theme or path this story was going for. By theme I mean, is it going for humurous and coming of age

or dark and serious.

There were mentions (and scenes) about serious topics (r word, abuse,)

Which I do think is pretty bold to add in a story.

These topics are I'd say very sensitive and a writer must do extensive or big amounts of research and understanding when writing about topics such as these

And seeing how you went to the point of adding a scene in form of a flashback, it somehow lost my interest.

Now I don't mind bringing forth awareness to these serious crimes but it also comes with a responsibility to portray it properly.

I also think that was too early into the book to be talked about. If she was a victim of such crimes, based on other books/shows that portray similar problems, the victim don't usually open up instantly.

Especially to a stranger.

I'll be honest, it felt too rushed and simply sprinkled in. I'll be talking about this further in characters.