Chapter 13

"This is yummy," Dray complimented and Amy smiled.

"I'm glad you like it," she said back.

"I want play," Lilliana whined, wiggling in her seat.

"Eat first," Mo said, taking some food off of the girl's plate. "Finish that and then you can get up."

She pouted and continued to pick at her food.

She eventually finished when her brothers were allowed to get up. They took off in the large, fenced yard, running around and being rambunctious.

Mo stacked the dishes and carried things in the house.

"This was great," she told Amy.

"Why don't you take some home?" she asked. "I have a lot of cucumbers and peppers fresh from the garden. You should take some of those too."

"I'd love to, as long as it's extra," she said, eyeing Kane's handsome form as he entered the house, the glow of the sun casting him a beautiful halo.

He smiled at her, his hand skimming her shoulders.

"There is plenty. You should go out and see our vegetable garden with Dave. He'll probably have another basketful to bring in," she said, portioning some to-go containers for both her son and Mo. "I bet the kids will like picking the produce."

"I'm glad Lilliana ate. I was certain she was going to put up a fight," Kane said, pulling Mo to his side. His hands were damp from washing the dishes and she cringed away.

"Her fits are explosive. I'm glad she didn't," Mo said. "Could you not have dried your hands?" She shook her t-shirt exaggeratedly.

He chuckled. "They weren't even that wet. It'll dry in the sun."

Morgan came barreling in.

"Hey," Mo scolded. "Don't run on that patio. It'll really hurt if you fall. And you don't come in the house with your shoes on."

"Sorry, Auntie," he said, stepping back so he remained outside. "We wanted to know if you wanted to play."

"What are we playing?" Kane asked.

"Ultimate Tag," he said.

"And who's it?"

"Kane," Morgan said, speed walking off the patio and then taking off full speed with a yell.

Mo pulled away from Kane quickly. "Wait, you can't get me until I'm out there. I need a head start."

"Five seconds, baby," he grinned, immediately counting down.

"Too fast," she protested, rushing to get her shoes on and find the kids.

Amy and Dave's backyard was huge, but the kids were hiding in really obvious places.

"I told you Auntie should've been it. Kane is too fast," Dray whispered loudly to Morgan.

"Mo," Lilliana yelled, peeking around a tree. "I'm here."

"Shh, or he'll find you," she said, knowing full well that Kane could see them. She muffled her laugh, crouching down with Lily.

She could hear someone approaching.

"Run, Lily," she yelled just as she was snatched from behind. It was a sacrifice that needed to be done.

Kane had her fully off her feet as he swung her around and she laughed loudly.

"Alright, alright. I get it. You got me. Remember this is ultimate tag so you have to get the others to win," she said.

She leaned her head up to kiss his cheek.

"You know if I didn't give Lily that head start, there's no way you would've caught me."

"Keep telling yourself that, honey," he chuckled.

She went to sit with Amy and Dave who were sitting in their two outdoor rocking chairs. She dragged a chair from the table.

"I don't think I've ever seen Kane so happy," Amy whispered, as the three watched him run around with the kids, purposefully not catching them.

"Not for a long time," Dave added, picking up his book.

----

It was late. The summer sun disappearing over the horizon. The kids were exhausted.

Mo held Lilly, and Kane had Morgan. Dray was mostly asleep on the couch.

"Thanks again for having us," Mo smiled.

"Of course. I hope to see you guys next week."

They loaded Lilly and Morgan and Kane went to retrieve Dray.

The car ride home was quiet. He reached for her hand, clasping their fingers.

He helped her into her house, getting the kids to bed.

"Do you want to stay?" she asked, looking wide eyed and adorable. And he did, he truly did, but he couldn't.

"Next time, okay? We are still taking things slow," he said, cupping her cheeks. He pushed back her hair.

He was right, and she appreciated that.

"Next time," she confirmed and he kissed her softly, those special three words sitting on the forefront of his mind.

"That's a promise," he said, giving her one last kiss goodnight.