Arlo 🌀

"You tipped paint over a girl, was that your mating call or something?"

"I didn't!" I growled for the third time across the dinner table at my dad. "It was an accident, it fell."

Lexi sniggered behind the bowl of potatoes. I nudged her under the table to shut her up.

"What colour paint?" Uncle Zak asked with curiosity, all eyes turned to him in silence.

"Green." I replied.

"Oh good choice." He gave his approval with a nod.

My dad shook his head at the pure stupidity seated at our table. "It's just not good enough Arlo, bullying some poor defenceless girl is appalling. I raised you better."

My mom choked on her wine and spluttered out a few coughs. "Yes it is appalling, isn't it?" She asked him directly. My dad smirked at her.

I flicked potatoes around my plate, after about three mouthfuls I felt too full to eat.

"I'm not bullying her. She's not defenceless. She's a little bitch and she gives as good as she gets."

"I can't wait to meet her tomorrow." Lexi smiled cunningly and I rolled my eyes.

"What's happening tomorrow?" Mom asked.

"Nothing." We replied, pulling our smirks back inside.

"Arlo, Fearne isn't from around here. She's just started at a new school and moved in with a whole new family. I'm disappointed in you for not making her feel welcome and going that one step further and making her feel uncomfortable."

I felt like screaming.

"Mom, for the last time I didn't intentionally tip paint over her. It was an accident. But either way, I hope she feels - I don't know - what's the opposite of welcome?"

"Unwelcome?" Lexi butted in, mocking my stupidity.

"Fuck yeah, I hope she feels so fucking unwelcome that she fucks off back home."

"How many fucks do we want at the dinner table?" My mom berated, sending the room into a temporary silence.

"I'll take one, if you're offering." My dad cut into the quiet. Uncle Zak bust out laughing but Lexi and I cringed.

"I'm out of here." I threw my cutlery down on my barely touched plate and left.