Chapter 13

They reached the Skul Nuim just past dinner, which they had eaten on horseback. The coronation would be at dusk, and there was still much to do. The river runner was still at least another hour out, and people were still running around preparing everything. The closest city was about half a day's travel away, but the normally empty river bank and surrounding area was teeming with people from all walks of life dressed in their finest. The excited energy had been palpable from a mile away. This is it, she thought to herself shifting nervously as they drew nearer. There is no going back now.

When the first people noticed their arrival, a cheer rang out that swept through the crowds as others picked up on what it meant, even if they couldn't yet see them. The closer they came, the more people fell silent as they noticed who their soon-to-be king had at his side. She had told herself, and Emvriel, things would be fine, but now doubt was beginning to worm its way into her brain. The gathered masses were obviously displeased by her presence, and she knew anything could happen, even with the guards.

"Etherae," Emvriel said, moving closer and laying a hand on one of hers that was currently white knuckled and shaking around her reigns. "It's not too late to back out. We can announce you're just here for peace negotiations as an ambassador of your people."

She looked up at his worried face, "It's not the betrothal, it's... them." She said, gesturing ahead.

"We will keep you safe princess," said Enyllae, who'd not said a word beforehand. "Have faith in us, Prince Emvriel wouldn't have let us take the position if he didn't know we would be up to the job."

"I know that, but it doesn't make riding into that any less intimidating."

"Keep your head up, don't let them see you falter, and they'll come to love and respect you soon enough," Emvriel assured her as a woman drew out of the crowd, and his face broke out in a smile that shone with the blinding radiance of the sun.

Etherae had been right, the softened edges of his face were from his mother, though he still took more after his father than her. She had umber skin and full features that balanced well, with her round face framed by short black curls. She wore mahogany-colored leathers with golden filigree designs, and had a dagger and pouch on her hip. Her brilliant smile and shining green eyes matched her sons. She also noticed the queen's left arm ended just below the elbow and was heavily scared.

As Etherae watched her approach, she couldn't help but wonder why she didn't wear the colors of the mourning queen. When one monarch died, their spouse stepped down from ruling, and one of their children took the throne, allowing the surviving monarch the space to grieve. It also prevented assassinations for power grabs. They then dawned mourning colors, and when ready, would then take over as the caretaker of the widows, widowers, elderly, and disabled. For a mourning queen to not dawn, the stormy gray robes was rare.

Distracted by the mourning queen, she didn't notice the form diving out of the sky until it landed 20ft ahead of her, causing Moondancer to immediately stop. She expected the horse to react more, but she just flicked her ears in annoyance, seemingly used to the sudden intrusions from the sky. Looking at the creature who had just fallen from the sky, she lost her breath. The Garugai was stunning. Her body was slightly smaller than Moondancer, and she looked like the teal blue version of an orange tabby, though there were some differences. Instead of whiskers, she had four long, thick whispies that seemed to float and dance on invisible currents of wind. Her belly was armored in gray scales that matched her powerful wings, and her tail was like a long thick whip dancing excitedly behind her.

Emvriel vaulted off his horse and sprinted to the Garugai flinging his arms around her. Her rumbling purr could be felt in her chest, even across the distance, as he reached up a hand to scratch under her chin. While he reunited with her, his mother came up and gently touched his arm acknowledging him, before continuing on to meet Etherae. Climbing off her horse, she stood tall and met her soon-to-be mother-in-law in the middle.

"Welcome child, I'm Emvriel's mother Reinya," she greeted, reaching out, grasping her forearm, and pressing her forehead to Etherae's in a traditional greeting typically reserved for family and close friends.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, mother of my heart," Etherae replied shocked by the move, and meeting the gesture of familiarity with one of her own peoples . "I am Etherae, your son's betrothed."

"I am aware," Reinya laughed. "How was your travels?"

"Pleasant, and yours?"

"Tiring. It's been long since I left the palace, and I'm not used to such journeys," she replied, before gently linking her arm in Etheraes and leading her back to the prince.

As they approached, Garugai let out a low hiss, and the fur along her back bristled. "Hush Naeri, she's not a threat," Emvriel soothed, before quickly greeting his mother. "Etherae, this is Naeri. Naeri, this is Etherae, Princess of Nuwhea, and my betrothed."
Naeri had stopped hissing, but still eyed Etherae with suspicion. "No," a deep but soft voice that seemed to come from nowhere and everywhere at once said.

"Naeri-"

"No."
"We can't end this war without her Naeri."

"Why not?"

"We've talked about this Naeri," Reinya chided gently.

"I can finally come home again thanks to her sacrifice," he said softly, pulling out a piece of jerky from a pouch she hadn't noticed he'd grabbed.

Naeri ate up the jerky he fed to her silently, but obviously still pouting. Etherae watched her closely. It was obvious that she had missed Emvriel, and wasn't happy to have him finally home, only to share him with a stranger, and she was having a hard time accepting it. Her heart felt for her. She missed her family dearly, and she'd been away for less time than Emvriel had.

"I'm so sorry to interrupt," Virial interrupted. "We need to finish getting ready for the coronation."

"Yes we do," Etherae said, turning back to her horse," it was a pleasure to meet you Naeri, I hope one day we can at least be friends."
That earned her another hiss from the Garugai and a sigh from Emvriel. "I'm sorry for Naeri's lack of manners, I'll see you at the coronation Etherae."

"I'll go with you," Reinya told her.

Rather riding in as she had planned, she walked between Reinya and Moondancer, with her guard following close behind her as they made their way through the shocked, confused, and often angry crowd.