Meeting Her (Clint's POV)

You HAVE to have read the previous chapter (The Best Laid Plans) for this to make any sense! Also You wanted some Clint and this is me giving it to you.

***********************************

"Fifty bucks says that Carter decks Donovan on the spot," James said.

Clint loved his brother, but his lack of understanding of human nature, specifically Carter's, baffled him at times. They both grew up with the same mother, how did he fail to absorb her insight? Again Clint had to remind himself that James, like Brock, took after their father, they were all built for action, for quick reflexes, and unwavering loyalty.

Once told something, they took to it and didn't pause to break it down, to tear apart the logic behind it. They didn't see the world through the scope of why? They saw it through the scope of when and how?

Brock held a bit more of their mother's brains, it was why he did so well at the FBI. He did have an inclination to question motives. It was his training under Commander that made him relentless to get answers.

Whereas James excelled at his role as security. His instincts made him able to see the dangers in the world and react. Combat training meant he walked into every situation looking for potential threats.

And Clint...He questioned everything. Whether it needed to be questioned or not. It's why he chose security detail to high valued people. It was more than playing bodyguard to someone, it was accessing everything in that person's life and determining what was a threat and what was not. He had complete control over someone's safety and didn't fail.

"No," Brock said, setting out a stack of plates for cake. "Carter isn't going to deck him, she's going to look at him, make sure he sees her then walk out. Our girl is hot-headed but she also doesn't like causing a scene."

Brock was closer but still, he failed to understand what was so intrinsic to Carter and Donovan's relationship: complete trust.

"I'll take that bet," Clint said. "And Carter won't do either of those things."

"And what is she going to do then?" James asked, taunting.

"She won't even believe that Donovan is cheating on her."

Both brothers let out loud protests which drew the attention of the apartment's other occupants, the Evans, Mason, and Carter's family.

"How can you say that?" James said. "The evidence will be right in front of her face."

"Doesn't matter."

Brock shook his head. "Yes, it does. Carter is logical, she'll connect all the dots. The way Donovan changed his tone over the phone would be impossible not to interpret as affection and secrecy."

Clint loved his brothers but they were both wrong. At least with their lack of understanding, Clint would be a hundred dollars richer for it. He knew Carter, had watched her grow from a girl determined to prove herself to their family to someone who'd chosen to take the time apart from Donovan to work on herself.

Clint knew how difficult that decision had been for Donovan. Had talked to him countless times when he second-guessed himself. Helped him when he was afraid he'd lost the only girl he loved.

But Clint knew Carter, knew that any girl who trained in order to impress her boyfriend's family on their first meeting wasn't going to give up easily. She'd never told him, or any of them, but Clint had put it together after getting to know her.

"If you say so," Clint answered Brock.

Brock shot him a look. His brother knew Clint didn't concede easily and was wary of it. He might look like he couldn't put two and two together but Brock was a shrewd man.