Chapter Nine.

I remove his arms from my waist causing him to wake up.

I look at him because this is weird. Awkward, since when did we start sleeping like that?

And why did he come to this room? there are so many spare rooms in this house, why chose to sleep in this one with me?

He opens his eyes and stretches. 

Then, he looks at me.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" He asks me, I don't even know what to say to him.

"Why were you sleeping like that?" I ask him, he frowns.

"What do you mean by that? How am I supposed to sleep then?" He demands, getting up too.

"You had your arms around me," I inform him. Maybe he didn't know what he was doing. Maybe...

"Oh, it was you? I thought it was my pillow, my bad." He averts his eyes from me and gets out of the bed.

"Does that mean I'm fat?" I ask him knowing fully well that I'm not. He looks at me again. His face holds no expressions.

"I'm not going to assure you that you're not because you'd know that better than I do. Stop expecting so much from me." He says as he starts walking towards the washroom.

What the hell? Why is he being like this all of a sudden?

"What did I ever do to you?" I ask him before he could step inside the washroom. He sighs and turns to face me.

"Nothing. You did nothing. Can you stop bothering me?"

"I'm not even saying anything, you were the one who was hugging me like a koala." I blurt out before I could stop myself. I see his eyes turning dark.

Uh-oh.

"What did you just say?" He asks, thank god he doesn't move from his spot.

"Nothing. What was last night about? did you send those people to kill me and changed your mind at the last minute?"

He scoffs at this.

"If I wanted you dead I would've killed you myself. But I didn't, instead, I saved you. A thank you would do." 

"Thank you for what? You call me in the middle of the night and tell me to drag my ass to the closet and just sit there while I hear gunshots outside. How did you even know what was going to happen, you're being so damn suspicious right now, and I want to know what the hell happened last night."

I can't believe I'm talking to him like that, but I nearly got killed last night. I don't care if he gets mad at me because of this. I need my damn answers.

"You'll know when the time comes." He replies in a surprisingly soft tone.

"I want to know right now. What was that?"

He decides to ignore me this time and steps inside the washroom. I know he would never tell me anything, and he's back at it again. 

I guess it was a one-day thing, he decided to be nice to me, and then he probably thought 'Nah, this is never going to work, fuck it.' 

I get out of bed and go to my bedroom. The floor is clean now but the window is still broken of course. Tessa enters the room behind me.

"The window will be fixed in the afternoon, Mrs. Hayes. Should I shift your belongings to the spare room?" She asks, I shake my head.

"There's no need, I'm okay here." 

"Should I prepare breakfast?" She asks. I shake my head once again.

"I'm not hungry right now," I tell her as I step into the closet. There's something that's been bugging me since last night. I'm positive I saw something here last night.

"Where was it?" I mutter while taking out the contents of the shoe compartment.

"I'm sure I saw it her-." 

"Saw what where?" I nearly jump out of my skin when I hear his voice. I try to compose myself. I can't let him know that I'm looking for something weird here.

"My stilettos, I put them here and I can't find them. Did you take them?" I stand up and look at him.

He raises his eyebrows and looks down at his feet.

"Not sure they'd fit me, but no I didn't. Why do you need them in the morning?" He asks, I shrug.

"Felt like wearing them, but I guess I'll have to do without them." He doesn't seem to believe me but nods and enters the closet.

"Why are you coming in?" I ask him. He walks towards his side of the closet and starts looking for something.

He takes out a shirt and a pair of sweatpants at last and looks at me.

"Why do you even waste your words like that?" He asks and leaves the closet without giving me a chance to answer.

I shut the closet door behind him and resume my search.

I take out the last pair of shoes that I own and see nothing there. I'm so damn sure that I saw something here last night, I did.

I look at his side of the closet and take a deep breath. I have to find that thing in order to give my curious nature a rest. I stand up and walk towards it.

With shaking hands, I open his cupboard. He never locks it, because I'm not allowed to touch it and he knows I'm scared of him. But here I am, my hands are shaking badly because I know if I get caught he'll not spare me.

I hear him outside, probably brushing his hair or something.

This is a bad idea.

I know this is a bad idea but I have to do it. I have to find out what that thing is.

I have to fi-

"Looking for this, Marilyn?" 

I squeeze my eyes shut. Why didn't I hear the door opening?

Why didn't I hear him coming in?

Why didn't I sense his presence, he's literally standing right behind me.

"Turn around and face me." He orders. I open my eyes. No one can save me now.

I turn around and look at him. Strangely, he doesn't look angry. 

My eyes travel from his face to his hand. He raises that hand and waves the thing that he's holding in front of me.

He's holding a gun.

I hope he doesn't shoot me.

"You should've just asked me, I left it in your cupboard so you'd know where to find it in case of emergency. That's what you saw last night."

Wait, how does he know everything?

He seems to sense my thoughts because he takes a step towards me and tilts his head.

"I can see through you, everything you think about, and by everything I mean everything." He leans in and I can feel his breath over my ear.

"You should be careful around me, don't you think?" He wants to know.

Everything?

Oh no, does that mean he can tell what I think about when I see him shirtless?

Oh god, please no.

"Or maybe you shouldn't, I like to see you get all flustered when you see me. I know exactly what you think about." 

Did I mention that I stopped breathing a while ago?