Chapter One

"Is it me? Is something wrong with me? Am I unlovable?" The brown-eyed boy that I am lucky enough to call my best friend asked while stuffing one of his pillows in his face. Austin was currently suffering from another breakup and all I could do is make him feel better. A part of me wanted to kiss him and make him forget about any guy except me but thankfully I know how to turn that part off. 

"What, no! Austin any guy would be lucky to be with you. Marcus was simply an idiot" I stated while walking over to the sad boy and sitting in his lap like I always do. He pulled me closer and I couldn't stop the smile on my face. I'm hopelessly in love with my best friend and I can't tell him. 

"I know that you would never lie to me Peyton but I have a hard time believing you. I told Marcus that I was in love with him and now look, he dumped me" He explained while playing with my hair. He says that my hair is really fluffy and he likes playing with the fluff. I seriously don't mind since it feels really good plus I can't say no to Austin. 

"You told him that you love him?" I asked carefully. Austin has only told me and his family that he loves them, telling Marcus that he's in love with him is huge. How dare he break up with such an angel!

"Yeah, we had been dating for months and I did fall in love with him so I told him and he dumped me" Austin explained while continuing to play with my hair. I turned in his arms and looked at him. He looked so sad and heartbroken and I just wanted to see him smile. 

"Well, Marcus is a dumbass and doesn't deserve someone as amazing as you," I told him while cupping his face. 

"Thank you, Peyton, you're the most amazing best friend anyone can ask for. Hey! You wanna play games for the rest of the night?" He asked while standing up in excitement. I frowned before standing up with him. 

"Actually Austin, I need to head home. My dad is making tacos tonight" I told him and he frowned but nodded. I walked over to him and hugged him before leaving the frowning man behind. I left the house and walked towards my place which was across the street. I may have lied about my father needing me home since he told me that he was working late tonight but I couldn't stay with Austin anymore. Being so close to him and him only thinking of me as a friend made me feel sad and I needed to leave. I arrived at my home before entering and being greeted by Novia my Shiba Inu puppy. I smiled down at my little girl before bending down and petting her. She's such a sweetheart. I looked around the house and noticed that everything is exactly where I left it this morning. I sighed while leaving the entrance and going to the kitchen to see if there was anything to eat. I opened the fridge and saw the leftover pizza box, quickly took it out, and opened the box. Turns out we don't have any pizza left in the box. I groaned while placing the box back in the fridge to trick my father later and leaving the kitchen. I saw Novia laying on her little bed in the living room and I smiled. Being a dog must be so easy, I wish things were easy. I grabbed my wallet and left the house, heading towards the closest food place because I'm hungry. I walked out of the neighborhood and towards the closest place which just so happens to be my favorite vegan diner. I quickly entered the restaurant and went to get a table. I was sitting at my table peacefully while waiting for the waitress when suddenly Tate showed up in the seat in front of me. I smiled at the pink-haired boy who has been my friend since freshman year.  

"Hey buttercup, where's Austin? You guys are always together" He asked me once his dark eyes made contact with my lighter ones. I sighed while placing my hands on the table. 

"Marcus broke up with him. I was comforting him and then I was completely friend zoned so I left" I explained to the pinkette and he frowned. 

"Told him your dad was making tacos?" He tilted his head to the side. 

"Yes and dad is working late" I sighed and he winced. 

"That bad huh? You know we only use the taco excuse if it's bad but hey the bright side is that he's single right?" He stated with a bright smile. I rolled my eyes and looked down. 

"Austin is hot, he's cute and he's incredibly intelligent. He won't stay single for long and even if he does, he would never want me" I whined while placing my head on the table. The waitress arrived at our table and smiled. 

"What can I do for such a lovely couple today?" She asked with a bright smile and I looked up. Does she think Tate and I are a couple? That's hilarious. 

"Oh we will take two milkshakes, chocolate and buttercup here will take the portobello Gyros with Hemp Tzatki while I'll have some fries" Tate ordered for both of us and I smiled sweetly at him because he remembers my order. The waitress smiled before nodding and leaving the table. I looked at Tate who was smiling. 

"You know my order?" I asked him and he continued to smile. 

"Yes but that's not the point. The waitress just gave me a brilliant idea" He was really excited all of a sudden and I simply let him explain his plan. 

"We should date!" He exclaimed and I choked while my eyes widened. 

"What?! I'm sorry Tate but I don't feel that way for you" I explained to him and he rolled his eyes. 

"Calm down Buttercup, when I say we should date I meant as a plan. We pretend to date to make Austin jealous and then boom he will face his feelings for you" He explained and I tilted my head at him. 

"I'm not sure about this Tate. Austin doesn't like me and dating you won't make him jealous" I explained to the boy. He sighed while taking my hand. 

"Trust me, Peyton, Austin has always seen you single, he has nothing to worry about because nobody is trying to take you away. How do you think he will feel when you aren't always around?" He explained his idea and I was still skeptical until the waitress came back. She put the food down while also setting down the cake.

"We decided to give you a cake on us since you both are simply the cutest couple ever" She explained before walking away with a smile. If everyone here believed we are a couple then maybe this could work. 

"Okay, we can be fake boyfriends but if this backfires I'm so blaming you" I decided to agree to date Tate. The man smiled before dipping his fries in his milkshake. Hopefully, this plan doesn't completely blow up in our faces. 

Welcome to my new story! So we have a very common trope in this story, best friends falling in love. I do really like this story and the one that comes out right after and you will see why. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I hope you all love this book. Will Tate's plan work in their favor or will it backfire? Will Austin be able to face his feelings for his friend or will Peyton's love go unrequited? Also, STREAM THURSDAY'S CHILD BY TXT TODAY! It's so good, such an amazing comeback. It's a breakup concept that is perfect for this story, definitely (This is sarcasm but still STREAM IT TODAY!) You don't need to have been recently dumped to listen to this amazing album so why not stream it today. 

~Jess