THIRTY SEVEN

Word Count: 1605

~Avia

Excitement curls up in my stomach, making it twist and flutter uncontrollably.

I can't believe I'm going on a date with Isaiah. It's something I've silently wanted, but never thought would ever happen. Although I'm not going to allow this to go very far, not wanting to risk him finding out we are mates, but I do want to enjoy myself.

Because I feel as though I haven't in a very long time.

"Didn't know you could drive," I note, twisting to look at Isaiah. He's driving into the city tonight, instead of having one of his staff bring him in.

Isaiah smirks. "I'm not completely incompetent."

"Why do you learn how to fight?" I ask softly. I've wanted to ask for awhile, and not just because I want to determine how strong he will be when the rebellion takes over. Seeing him that night all those months ago was haunting, knowing how deep in his anger was, to the point his knuckles were bloodied.

"I like it, it's like a release," he admits. I wonder if it has something to do with his father, and his hatred for him. "And it's been useful, once or twice."

I look out the window, watching the city draw near. "I still think about those rebels..."

I'm not sure where they came from exactly, and I didn't know any of them besides their leader. But so many of them died because of what they believed in. It's not like I blame Isaiah, I know he was trying to protect us and his estate, but it still haunts me knowing this rebellion hasn't been without lives lost.

"That's because you're a good person. You care," Isaiah murmurs, glancing between me and the road. I flush. He has no idea that I truly am not a good person. I'm lying to him, and the rebellion, and I have no intention of wanting to be truthful any time soon.

"I don't know about that, anymore," I admit, sighing woefully. "I've been doubting a lot recently."

"Don't listen to me, or anyone else. Go with what make sense to you, in your heart." Isaiah likely thinks I feel this way because he thinks I'm referring to him and Elise, which is only the smallest part of my problem.

"Where are we going?" I ask, changing the conversation.

Isaiah's eyes glitter warmly. "The beach."

"It's late..." I note, glancing toward where the sunsets, staining the sky with hues of amber and magenta. It's not as if I'm opposed to darkness, but it does make me wary, thinking about what can happen late at night.

"Exactly. No one there, no one to bother us," he murmurs. "We can swim."

"You know what, I like the sound of that," I say. Time truly alone is a luxury for the both of us, and I'm going the most to enjoy it.

It doesn't take us long to get to the ocean, and just as Isaiah mentioned, there is almost nobody walking about, the soft light of the moon being all that wanders the beach. Hopping out of the car excitedly, I breathe in the salty air, feeling freedom brushing against my skin.

"You're quite romantic, you know," I say, as Isaiah steps into stride next to me as we move down the dunes and onto the beach.

He looks out toward the ocean. "My mother was, even if my father wasn't."

"You'll see her again soon, I'm sure of it," I assure him. How he has survived being parted from her for so long is beyond me, although he doesn't have any other choice. I felt so much pain when I lost my family, and to think if they were still alive and I couldn't see them would send me over the edge.