Chapter 16- Saffron and Sex Education

If you wouldn't mind, let me know how you found this story! I'd love to know where you discovered it.

     It was another day and waking up was still as difficult as ever, your alarm's annoying beeping piercing your dreams. Knowing you had something to look forward to today though, made it a little easier. Clicking the button on the tiny hell machine, you kicked off your sheets and sat up before you could even think about closing your eyes again. The sun had only just peaked above the horizon, and the town's street lamps had yet to shut off. Living in this ancient castle of a church, you had grown accustomed to how dark it always seemed. When you'd catch a glimpse of the winter sun whilst passing one of the many large windows in the building, you were always temporarily blinded by how bright everything was outside. You wished you could get out more and enjoy the fresh air with your friends or eat lunch with Papa on the outdoor benches, but the frigid weather was too much to sit through at the moment. You'd have to suck it up until spring.

     With your teeth freshly brushed, your shoes buckled, and your messenger pin fastened to your breast, you headed to your front door to retrieve your jacket and set on your way to the cafeteria. You eyed the markers that you threw haphazardly into your office last night, still not making a move to clean them up. It can be dealt with later. Your fat ring of keys weighed your coat pocket down, the metal jingling with every step. You seriously needed a bag, having returned Beau's satchel to him a while back since you could now rely on your pockets. Winter would only be so long, and having to be stuck carrying your phone and keys with you in hand is not something you want to deal with. Twisting the doorknob open, you were greeted with a surprise.

     A small and shiny red gift bag sat in the front of your door, the rope handles tied together in a double-knot. Newspaper stuck out of the top at jagged angles, effectively covering what the contents were. Turning your head to look down the hallway, you did not see the person who may have left it there. Your hand reached down to pick up the bag, the light weight of it throwing you off. Barely peeking out from the newspaper was a small index card folded in half. Your name had been sprawled across the back of it in purple ink, the neat signature making your name look all fancy. You smiled at the familiar handwriting. Rain always used purple pens when he could.

     Your fingers held the bag by its handles lazily, your other hand opening the note. Your heart thrummed happily as you read,

     '(Y/n), I wasn't sure if you had any festive clothing, so I thought I'd give you something just in case. Excited to see you tonight! -Rain'. Below his name, he added, 'P.S. Prepare to be destroyed at Mario Kart'. Your chest bloomed with butterflies at his kindness, your cheeks warming along with it. You were actually a little saddened that you wouldn't be able to dress up any this year because of your lack of wardrobe, but Rain saved the day as always. You wondered to yourself if he could read your mind. Was that a ghoul thing?

     A hearty laugh came out of your throat as you pulled out Rain's gift. A plain red and white Santa hat was just what you needed. You threw it on your head, not bothering to look at a mirror for placement. You were on a timed schedule, after all. Placing the note back into the now empty gift bag, you tucked everything back into your office before locking up and heading downstairs.

     Though you had sworn to yourself yesterday that you would never bake a single morsel ever again, you had found yourself back in the kitchen. After saying your good mornings and giving Papa II his routine black coffee with two sugars, you were batted away and left to your own devices. It seemed that his older brother hadn't tattled on you for setting him straight (you grinned at your victory). Your boss had let on that he did not care for anything too sweet, so gifting him a standard bag of your gingerbread would do no good. As you rifled through the food pantry, an idea popped into your head.