Chapter 11

"A coffee for Ms. Agassi," Louise says, placing the cup on the coffee table in front of me, sitting on the nearest armchair. "No sugar this time around."

"Should I trust you?" I joke.

"I'm a bit of a Russian roulette."

"Where one bullet is you being trustable and the other 5 not?"

"I was actually thinking of it the other way around."

"That's questionable," I say, taking a sip of the coffee — no sugar.

"See?"

"This is that one good bullet out of the six chambers."

She laughs, plopping her feet on top of the coffee table. "Don't look at me like that, this is my house."

"I'm not looking at you in any way," I playfully raise an eyebrow.

"You have this very specific expression of disapproval — you might not notice it yourself but rest assured everyone else definitely sees it."

"I don't do that," I groan, trying not to laugh at her poor imitation of my very specific expression of disapproval.

"You definitely do."

"Not like that, it looks like you're having a stroke."

"You just put it into words, that's the face you make ma'am."

"Shut up," I say, throwing her a pillow that landed perfectly on her face with a loud thud.

"Hey! Not fair," she laughs, preparing herself to throw it back as the door to her apartment suddenly opens — I got distracted by it, making it the perfect time for Louise to shoot her shot, yet she still manages to fail as I put my arm in front of my face at the very last moment.

"You play dirty, Louise," I say, redirecting my eyes back to the door where a girl stood.

"I didn't know we had guests, am I interrupting something?" she asks, a hint of humor in her voice — she looks an awful lot like Louise minus the hair that is brown and curly, and there's definitely an age difference, this girl is significantly younger. "Take your nasty feet off the table, Lou."

Louise quickly complies, letting out a small awkward chuckle. "Claire, this is Esther," she says, looking between us. "And this is Claire, my younger sister."

"Esther Agassi," I get up, extending my hand towards her which she gladly takes. "It's a short visit, I'm just about to leave."

"Stay for a while, I'm cooking our mémère special Gratin Dauphinois today," she says, suddenly turning to Louise. "Bring me some potatoes from the store — five, no, six potatoes, and cheese."

"Ugh, stop bossing me around in front of people," Louise murmurs, but still gets up to do what her sister has told her to do.

"Vite, vite," she says shooing her out of the house.

"Ey, don't say anything weird to Est—" she barely manages to say as Claire closes the front door. The store is just downstairs so I'm sure she won't take long.

"I don't want to bother you, I really should go," I finally say after the initial shock of seeing all of that resolving in front of me. My subconscious is screaming at me nonstop for the simple fact that I'm at Louise's house, even though Claire seems like a nice girl, way nicer than Louise apparently.

"You're not bothering me, quite the contrary. Lou finally has a girlfriend that doesn't look like she came straight out of prison," she says, taking a pan out of one of the kitchen cabinets. Claire has a much more prominent French accent, Louise barely has one as it is but Claire sounds like she has recently immigrated. "No judgment, but they were scary and seemed to hate having me around."