Chapter 32: Think

" Think. If we don't find Agua, bad things will happen." Atlantic said," I know," I replied. " What kind of bad things will happen?" I shook my head at Rylie's question. What did she think would happen if he got stronger. I thought, I thought really hard. So hard my head hurt. My eyes widened," Kai, think, do you remember what I told you about Old Woman Kelpiana?" Kai looked at me with an obvious look of annoyance." About the ground?" I nodded, we both spoke at the same time."' If you're not careful about those around, you could get plucked right out of the ground.'" I realize what she meant now." Aguas the thing I should have been watching out for." I looked at Kai." I should have payed more attention to everyone. But maybe we could get walkie talkies, right and I could say I changed my mind and I could be an inside spy. I don't know," Kylie's face lit up," Maybe we could do that? Rylie, remember Eduardo? He told me we could always come back if we ever needed anything, and he had potions and spells." Kylie turned to me," He has a memory drink, Zayana." I could see where she was going," That's genius, Kylie!" But then I stopped. My blood froze. I always remembered things too late. I'm such a procrastinator! I swam by the window and stared out. Which way was the palace? I took out the map I had earlier from looking for Kai and searched like an eagle searching for a fish in a river. To the east. I looked out again. I started sweating. Cold sweat, the worst kind." Ky-Kylie, when's the coronation?" She doesn't even hesitate," Thursday, the 25th." I gulped down my fear," And what's today?" " Tuesday the . . . 23rd." I nodded," We only have two days." I couldn't believe I let so much time slip from my grasp. I'd been here for about four days, awake, but it felt like a whole 3 months." I'm so stupid." I sat on the bed. Everyone crowded me," What are you talking about?" The French accent. " I'm not who I say I am. I was human until three weeks ago. And I'm the princess the one who actually owns that crown that Aguas going to get if I'm not able to stop him. We're not able to stop him. My aunts going to be killed because of me."Kylie and Rylie were staring at the ground and Oceana is by the door probably thinking whether to leave or not. Atlantic breaks the silence," What's it like? Being a human, I mean." She talks in a whisper." It's nice and way less tiring then swimming around 24/7. The sun always shining on your face and when it isn't it's the moon and the stars. The grass and sand squished between your toes." " What are . . . toes?" I laughed," You can find out for yourself, maybe you guys could come visit if we were ever able to save the ocean." I shrugged," Just a thought. You guys could meet my best friends Una and Luna. It'd be a lot of fun. Or it would've been if only I had Agua for bargain." I know I sounded like a Debbie downer or whatever Auntie A called me whenever I acted like this. But I couldn't help it, I was going to lose everything. Atlantic smiled and she gripped Island's arm." Island, you know how much I've wanted to go to the surface. Do you think . . . do you think maybe we could one day?" Island looked uncertain but then saw how much Atlantic wants this." Of course, we could." He smiled weakly. I sighed again," Think like Agua, think like Agua." I gripped my head hoping the intensity of squeezing it so hard would make blood come pumping ideas to my brain." Aguas sly. He knows how I think since he's been stalking me for the past three weeks, or my whole life, I need to think like him. If I'm Agua and I'm in the ocean trying to hide from a beautiful and smart princess where would I go?" Atlantic snapped her fingers a few minutes later. "If I was Agua I'd go to the attèrir. Land!" I smile huge," Of course!" But then I frowned," But that'd mean you guys would have to leave the ocean I don't want to do that to you if you don't want to." Atlantic swam around with excitement," I've always wanted to go to the surface of course I'll come!" I smiled again," Really?" Atlantic nodded her head vigorously. Kylie shook her head in disappointment," Joining you on a mission is one thing, but going to the surface is a whole other. Rylie, Kai and me aren't going." My smile dropped immediately. But I understood," I . . . I understand if you feel that way, thank you for coming at least this far." Kai and Rylie shook their head," Kylie, I speak for myself and I'm going with Zayana. She needs me, she needs everyone she can get." Kai grabbed my hand and I smiled." I'm going too, Kylie. Mom and Dad told us to always stay together. But I've been in your shadow my whole life. You always speak for me and I hate it. I'm going whether you like it or not." Kylie grabbed Rylie by the arm. I backed up. This could get ugly." No, you're not. You're staying here with me, we're not going with Zayana." Rylie ripped her arm away from Kylie. "Why not?" Kylie looked at me with disgust than let everything come out anyway." Don't you see? She's taking Kai away from us! She's risking our lives just to save hers! She's going to do the same on the surface! She doesn't care about us she's just using us!" I gawped hurt by Kylie's words. Rylie shook her head and yelled back. " That's not true! Zayana, cares about us so much that's exactly why she didn't tell us she was the princess and a human! If she had she would have risked our lives and Prince Agua would have done something terrible to us!" Rylie came over to me and gripped my other hand. Both of us had tears in our eyes. " No! Don't you get it! She didn't tell us because she was going to claim herself as queen and forget about us! Zayana doesn't care and she never will." Kylie looked at me and her eyes turned to slits. I almost did the ritual Una taught me just in case I ever wanted to curse Diana. I did. I cursed her on Sunday as a joke and the next day at school she spilt her whole bowl of spaghetti on her new and super expensive dress. She never found out and I still laugh about it to this day. Her face was priceless. " I don't know what your talking about, Kylie but everyone who wants to come with me I'm leaving now!" I stormed out the door and Kai, Rylie, Atlantic, and Oceana followed. I was about to leave before Atlantic swam in again," Island, are you coming?" I heard," Yes, I just want to say goodbye to Isle. I'll be out in a second, okay?" " Okay." Atlantic came out and sat next to me. The group that had once believed we were just going to visit the surface was now the same group, minus Isle, floating by my side after Kylie's outburst. This group had become my friends. I still couldn't believe what Kylie had said. I never tried to put anyone in danger . . . but now that I thought about it maybe I had been putting them at risk. I floated there and wished I had a hand to hold. Like he could read my mind Kai slipped his hand into mine and smiled," Everything's going to be okay, alright?" " Sure." I smiled back. I just wished it could've been genuine. I had Kai. Island came out and he cleared his throat we both turned around and I nodded towards him motioning for him to go on." Where should we go, Princess?" I smiled at the sound of that. Princess Zayana." We travel to the surface, but first I want to check something. I need to go to the palace. I'll meet you guys at the coral house." Before anyone could object I swam away in a rush.